Einstein MSTP or Miami MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xTheCrowingx

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am essentially done with my MD/PhD application cycle and have declined my acceptances except for two: University of Miami (which I am "officially" committed to) and Albert Einstein, which I just got off the waitlist for on Monday, 5/2. My research interests are in cancer biology and immunology, particularly an intersection between the two. I am unsure of which I will pick, but plan to do so by the end of this week.

Einstein

Pros:
-Great and long-standing MD/PhD program
-Integrated approach to training, interweaving medicine and research well at every step
-MSTP funded
-Larger program, typically matriculates 12-13 every year
-Located in NYC, near my friends and most of my family
-Subsidized studio apartment for a cheap rate

Cons:
-Located in the Bronx pretty far/inaccessible from the rest of NYC without a car
-A few less faculty in specifically cancer and more of an emphasis on virology/infectious disease

Miami

Pros:
-Excellent location in Miami with beautiful housing nearby
-Most great apartments are very accessible to the medical center by train or car
-Growing cancer biology program with a lot more funding/faculty every year
-Smaller program with more individualized attention to each student
-No MSTP funding but still gives a great stipend

Cons
-Far from my friends and family
-Not as longstanding as Einstein with fewer students
-Not MSTP funded
-Slightly non-pass/fail approach to preclinical education

I am interested to hear what people think! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Whats more important to you in terms of location? Would you like to stay near family and friends or get away from them for 7-8 years?? I think this is very important in your decision if not the most important factor. In terms of research, you just have to find find 2-3 labs that you like and roll with it, and also keep in mind that your interest can change in the next few years.
I'm not even sure if the MSTP status is that important in your decision since you get full funding for Miami.

Also pay attention to the pass fail curriculum (if either school has a truly pass/fail, I didn't realize how important p/f is until i got to med school since it really relieves the level of stress for many of us)

Members don't see this ad :)
just a tip about smaller programs, yes, they will have more individualized attention, but they may have a lot more kinks that haven't been worked out yet compared to the larger programs. you may need to play a larger role in advocating for yourself if you want to do something that the school doesn't normally have (i don't have a specific example in mind, but this is a game of numbers... smaller programs, fewer students, less likely they have seen every exception or special programs).

If you are into research and want to do research at the NIH, i recently found out that MSTP programs have a way to set that up. So that's pretty important since NIH has a ton of what you want to do. someone i know from my school is setting one up now... from what i hear, you still get the degree from your school since NIH doesn't grant those degrees. You can find more here: http://mdphd.gpp.nih.gov/prospectiveStudents/track2.asp

Personally, I'd tip towards Eistein. Another factor to consider is that eistein is still in NYC, and that will help a lot when you want to rotate during your clinical years in one of the bigger hospitals. those hospitals will also know students from your school a lot better and will help with your residency apps.

Thanks for the input. I ended up picking Einstein for the NYC location, bigger program, and P/F curriculum (apparently in the preclinical curriculum at Miami the curriculum is not purely P/F and students are ranked after a certain point).