Einstein MSTP vs. Case MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rinlight

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
(Cross-posted to reddit too) I've been really lucky to have been accepted to these two programs, but I need to make a decision within 48 hours of which place to attend. I think I'm leaning towards Einstein, but I don't know if my perceptions of each school are correct since I never got to go to Second Look for either schools:
Case Western: Pros
  • very kind and sweet admin for both the MSTP and med school
  • higher ranked slightly
  • more flexible studying during pre clinical years
  • get grad school courses out of the way in the pre clinical years
  • lower overall cost of living
  • NBLME style tests
Cons
  • farther away (I'm from Maryland)
  • cold
  • don't know anyone in the area
  • Cleveland seems kinda quiet; I don't know if I want to spend my 20s here
Einstein Pros
  • closer to home and many friends from undergrad are here (I went to undergrad in New York state)
  • Bronx area is really diverse and clear mission of seeing underserved patients
  • super cheap, subsidized housing
  • I'm more used to New York City and I've been wanting to go back for a while
Cons
  • lower ranked?
  • higher overall cost of living and also sounds like it'll be difficult to get groceries once the new hospital is built...
  • maybe I should go somewhere new(er)
  • not NBLME style exams
  • maybe less flexible and less integration in curriculum?
Same things//
  • both have researchers and fields I'm interested in
  • P/F pre clinical
  • same level of coldness maybe? Not too sure how much worse Cleveland is
  • I would have a car in Cleveland so transportation isn't an issue
  • match lists seem comparable

Members don't see this ad.

Your research mentors are very important to consider. Sounds like you think they are pretty close.

Simply for the geographic location, I would consider NYC (even in Bronx) much better than Cleveland. If you like big cities, NYC is one of the best

Reactions: 1 users
I proclaim my Cleveland bias upfront, though it seems looking at your pros, Case has academics as its pros, but comfort constitutes most of your cons. Einstein is the reverse.

Cleveland is not NYC, but that also means you can get home at a reasonable hour from a concert, a sports game, or a general outing. Fewer distractions and pretty good safety around campus. If you have a car for Cleveland, you'd have no problem getting around.

Research facilities, mentors, and support for your transitions are key in my opinion. Global warming has made Cleveland less cold than Buffalo in terms of snowfall. We are in the eclipse zone of totality in April 2024.