Einstein (Philly) and Drexel 4th year elective questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMapplicant117

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
The drexel vsas app allows multiple sites to choose from. What would be the best site to rotate at? Hanhemann? Also, if anyone knows, how does the Drexel elective compare to Einstein's elective?

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on the electives or compare the programs because I did not interview at Drexel, but I was impressed with Einstein and their program director, Dr. Carter, is amazing. I ranked them in my top 3, and I think I would have matched there had I not matched at my top choice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most people I know will recommend rotating at one of the Mercy sites - Philadephia (aka "miz" as it used to be called Misercordia, which is in West Philly) or Fitzgerald (in Delaware County). Heard good things about rotating at St. Joe's Hospital. As for Hahnemann, it's where all the main faculty work, so if you want to try and get in with them, go for it. But, a lot of the faculty (not all) could care less about the students and have them present to the PGY-3s who then present to the attending. At the other sites, you will get one-on-one interaction with attendings, but a lot of them are newer and less known in the greater EM community.

Drexel - If you are looking for a LOR and/or interested in matching at the program, rotate at Hahnemann.
Students not going into EM may prefer the other sites, but do not go there if you are going into EM.

Did not rotate at either, but know people that rotated through Einstein and loved it.

Thanks for all the input, everyone.

Drexel - If you are looking for a LOR and/or interested in matching at the program, rotate at Hahnemann.
Students not going into EM may prefer the other sites, but do not go there if you are going into EM.

Would you know if Hahnemann is a good experience for a first rotation? I'm not in the most ideal position as my school doesn't have an EM home program and my first month available would be August.

Not really true. Many of the Drexel students going in to EM rotate at the other sites and match without problem despite never doing an EM rotation at HUH. Now, I suppose if you're rotating at Drexel because you want to get in to the program, then yeah, maybe rotate at HUH to try and get in good with the core faculty. But, Mercy is a site that PGY-2s spend nearly the whole year rotating at, so its not like your going to some community site that residents only spend a month or 2 at.

From what I have heard from friends at drexel the Mercy sites are the best sites to rotate at to get a lot of great experience and still get a good SLOR. Apparently the HUH ER is very slow.