EK 1001 Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thedelicatessen

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that EK 1001 Physics really helps with understanding concepts but that the problems are not really representative of the MCAT. I'm working on the section about equilibrium and torque. It seems as though the book's questions are very number-intensive and sometimes even acknowledge that some of their material will not be on the MCAT. Should I still trudge through the complicated number problems or move on?

Members don't see this ad.

You also have to remember that torque is a dot scalar product, meaning that you take T = rF sin (theta) where (theta) is the angle between the lever arm and the direction of applied force.

Teerawit said:
You also have to remember that torque is a dot scalar product, meaning that you take T = rF sin (theta) where (theta) is the angle between the lever arm and the direction of applied force.

That is true, but for MCAT purpose just choose a position vector (r) to be from the point of rotation to the point where the force acts at 90 degrees - called the lever arm (l). So basically the whole formula is T = Frsin(theta), but you define r so that theta is always 90 degrees and then the formula becomes T = Fl.

kdburton said:
That is true, but for MCAT purpose just choose a position vector (r) to be from the point of rotation to the point where the force acts at 90 degrees - called the lever arm (l). So basically the whole formula is T = Frsin(theta), but you define r so that theta is always 90 degrees and then the formula becomes T = Fl.

kdburton.. I like that user name!! :laugh: :laugh: