EK Bio 1001

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ericado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a good practice material for Bio? Is it only useful if you supplement it with the EK Bio Workbook or Complete Package? The Kaplan Bio book is pretty extensive, but I just need more passage based materials. What are your thoughts?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

None of the EK 1001 books are passage based except for Verbal 101. The other 1001 series ask simple questions to make sure u know the content of the subject.

Example:
Which one would NOT make up the cell wall?
a.cytoplasm
b.proteins
c.carbohydrates
d.cholesterol

sernic said:
None of the EK 1001 books are passage based except for Verbal 101. The other 1001 series ask simple questions to make sure u know the content of the subject.

Example:
Which one would NOT make up the cell wall?
a.cytoplasm
b.proteins
c.carbohydrates
d.cholesterol

I don't know about yours, but my 1001 bio book is passage-based.

Members don't see this ad :)
so i have been reading all the posts, and i was wondering is ek a good source to purchase? i already have tpr from 2004 to study from, but i wanted something extra to study with. also, are flash cards included in ek, and if not, where would you possibly buy those and the aamc mcat tests? i want to prepare for the mcat the best way i can full force. :thumbup:

thanks in advance

Rumplestilskin said:
so i have been reading all the posts, and i was wondering is ek a good source to purchase? i already have tpr from 2004 to study from, but i wanted something extra to study with. also, are flash cards included in ek, and if not, where would you possibly buy those and the aamc mcat tests? i want to prepare for the mcat the best way i can full force. :thumbup:

thanks in advance

I'm studying with EK and I'm finding that it's a pretty good review source. It doesn't go into that much detail. I also like the color because I learn best with things that are colorful and fairly stimulating. There are flashcards in the orgo book for the different reactions. Otherwise, if you go to Barnes & Noble or Borders, you can find Kaplan's flashcards for the BS and PS sections (they are either $20 each or $12 each, I cannot remember which one). I don't know whether they are good, but I know that I've seen them there.

Thanks for the response. By the way, do know what this osmosis thing is that some people are using? I have never heard of it before.

R~

Where did you buy your exam kracker books from? I was looking on the official site and the complete set is almost 180 bucks. Did you get the whole set or individual books? Which is best..to get individual ones or the set? I read that some people dont think that all the books are worth it. :eek:

Teerawit said:
I don't know about yours, but my 1001 bio book is passage-based.

really?...interesting...I have the 1001 physics and general chem book and they don't have passages, so I assumed 1001 Bio didn't either...I didn't even bother buying Bio and Org Chem after looking in the two other ones...maybe I'll go buy them now...I apologize to the person who started the thread for giving out wrong info... :oops:

sernic said:
really?...interesting...I have the 1001 physics and general chem book and they don't have passages, so I assumed 1001 Bio didn't either...I didn't even bother buying Bio and Org Chem after looking in the two other ones...maybe I'll go buy them now...I apologize to the person who started the thread for giving out wrong info... :oops:

Yeah the 1001 bio is the only passage-based one I think.

sernic said:

Orgo isn't passage-based either. It's only the bio one.

Rumplestilskin said:
Thanks for the response. By the way, do know what this osmosis thing is that some people are using? I have never heard of it before.

R~

Audio Osmosis is information on CD that you listen to. I don't have it, but it sounds like it's something good for someone that is an auditory learner and/or has a lot of time commuting where you'll be getting a lot of use out of it. There's threads about it, just do a search.

Rumplestilskin said:
Where did you buy your exam kracker books from? I was looking on the official site and the complete set is almost 180 bucks. Did you get the whole set or individual books? Which is best..to get individual ones or the set? I read that some people dont think that all the books are worth it. :eek:

I bought mine off an SDNer that was selling his. If you go to Amazon, I believe it is cheaper than getting it from the EK website.

Is the EK website the safest place to get the complete package book? I am a little hesistant to get the book through Amazon...4 - 6 weeks??!! If it arrives in ~5 weeks, I should be ok, but I am worried that it will take longer than that. Any positive/negative experiences with Amazon?

Thanks

ericado said:
Is the EK website the safest place to get the complete package book? I am a little hesistant to get the book through Amazon...4 - 6 weeks??!! If it arrives in ~5 weeks, I should be ok, but I am worried that it will take longer than that. Any positive/negative experiences with Amazon?

Thanks

In all my experience with Amazon, things came way before I expected them. If you are that worried about it, just spend the extra money to get expediated shipping.

I love my EK books, however I think it always helps to try different materials, b/c they make you think in new ways. So, I definitely plan on purchasing at least some of TPR.

I ordered the 5th Edition EK Complete Study Package from Amazon mid-October. I was guaranteed delivery before Christmas. Instead, my shipment was delayed twice (I wrote complaint letters both times to get them to do something about it) and last week, I finally gave up on them. If you need the materials badly, I'd suggest shopping someplace else. I got a used copy off E-bay for $60, including shipping.

ericado said:

Thanks