EK Books: Use calculator or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sicilian

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pick:

1. Use

2. Don't use

3. Doesn't matter

Members don't see this ad.

Well, so far I've only bought the EK Physics book, and no the calculations are not elaborate. Then again, I'm only on p. 3 (07' MCATer, taking my time here) so I could be wrong.

Never use. As soon as you start MCAT study, use ONLY pencil and paper or brain.

You would not believe the number of MCAT students I have taught, who have extreme trouble doing basic arithmetic without a calculator. It causes people major problems on the exam. If this is you, start now: do all calculations in your head or on paper. If you can't do calculations without a calculator, then find an experienced math tutor and get him/her to teach you how. Be sure to practice with exponents, logs, etc.. EK will give you a good sense of how difficult the calculations will be on the real MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sicilian said:
Pick:

1. Use

2. Don't use

3. Doesn't matter

Never use a calculator.

The EK books I used had a section on math, which focused on doing calculations quickly with no calculator. If you have that book, read it first!

Thanks guys. Yeah, I am arithmetic deficient, or calculator-dependent if you will. Estimation has never been my strong point either. Pencil vs. pen: I practiced for the SAT with a pen; didn't work out too well on test day. It'll be definitely be pencil (and brain) all the way this time.

Never!!

Working those problems helps you develop estimation skills.

Only use what you can bring with you to the actual test. Therefore, when you're studying, feel free to use your calculator, abacus, rosary, cell phone, Blackberry, laptop, desktop, iPod (regular, nano, or mini are all acceptable), and your grad student friend in the biostatistics department.

/sorry, just had to ;)

Sicilian said:
Pick:

1. Use

2. Don't use

3. Doesn't matter

it's optional to use a calculator with the EK books, but on the actual MCAT, calculators are a MUST. in fact, they can get suspicious and penalize you if you aren't using a calculator, particularly on the verbal reasoning section.

I can't imagine memorizing the values of the square roots.

sqrt 5 and 6 are both two something ;)

Estimation is the key. You'll learn tricks that work for you the more you work problems without a calculator.