EK Comprehensive Review Course any good? (in lieu of Kaplan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dart1516

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm already registered for a Kaplan course for this summer, but due to conflicts with my summer physiology course, I may need to look into the EK 9 week course.

Now I've never heard EK mentioned as far as its course is concerned, although I've heard wonderful things about the books. All I hear when it comes to actual courses is Kaplan and Princeton.

If you had to choose b/t Kaplan and EK, which would you choose and why? (I have not been getting good reviews on Kaplan from my friends lately. But they chalk it up to poor and uninterested instructors. I've been hoping this won't be the case with me.)

If you've taken an EK course can you tell me about it? I will call an EK rep tomorrow, but I'm looking for a less biased review. I mean of course they will tell me they're great.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what if I only took the Kaplan online segment? I'm hearing the in-class bit isn't all its cracked up to be. And if I go for the in-class segment it'd have to really worth it, b/c I'll have a helluva commute. Actually the course itself will be a helluva commute for me since I had to move it to the next state b/c of this Physiology course.

I took the Kaplan online course. I recommend it if you are a motivated self-learner and can schedule all your lessons and stick to that schedule as much as possible. However, you have to set up your own proctoring of the practice exams and you will have NO access to the kaplan centers and any of their AAMC practice material (this is a new thing that they started for this test administration).

i hope that helps. PM me if you need more info about the online course.

Dart1516 said:
Well, what if I only took the Kaplan online segment? I'm hearing the in-class bit isn't all its cracked up to be. And if I go for the in-class segment it'd have to really worth it, b/c I'll have a helluva commute. Actually the course itself will be a helluva commute for me since I had to move it to the next state b/c of this Physiology course.

Thank you for the replies. If anything, I would want to take the actual class so I would have the chance to form a study group with other students. That's the only thing I'm really worried about with taking the online class is lack of human interaction...

I already put my Kaplan deposit down so I'll stay with them. Now it's just deciding b/t online and standard. For reasons listed above I may stick with standard, even though, I'll probably be late every Thursday once my class starts in early July. Will I be missing that much??

Members don't see this ad :)
20 minutes to a half hour, but probably closer to a half hour if not over that. My physiology lab goes until 530 (labs usually don't take the entire allotted time to finish--so there actually may not be a problem--but I wouldn't want to feel rushed), and Kaplan is at 6.

Sorry if I seem overanxious, I just want to make sure that the summer goes smoothly.

I took the Kaplan classroom course and did the EK home study.

I think it depends on what kind of learner you are. Kaplan classes for me were a complete waste of time. However, I think if you do EK-only, it is definately more doable than doing everything in the entire Kaplan course. So, for your own sanity, I would say stick with EK primarily and use Kaplan stuff if you need more practice.