EK Physics 1001 Page 6 number 51

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2010premed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A particle starts from rest and travels in a straight line for 4 s. If the particle is accelerating at a constant rate, which of the following could be the total distance traveled by the particle at the end of each consecutive second?

answer: 5m, 20m, 45m, 80m

I get that it shouldn't be constant, but I don't get the exact way they get those numbers

Members don't see this ad.

A particle starts from rest and travels in a straight line for 4 s. If the particle is accelerating at a constant rate, which of the following could be the total distance traveled by the particle at the end of each consecutive second?

answer: 5m, 20m, 45m, 80m

I get that it shouldn't be constant, but I don't get the exact way they get those numbers

it looks like they used y=1/2at^2 and thus the acceleration would be 10m/s^2

it looks like they used y=1/2at^2 and thus the acceleration would be 10m/s^2

That's not the point. They purposefully left out the acceleration to force u to understand the relationship bw v an a. I'm assuming there were other choices present w similar distances albiet at different intervals bw distances and were the wrong answers.

The point is u need to look for a choice with increasing CONSTANT velocity. If u look at a v vs t graph ull notice that it's an increasing line at constant acceleration. That means that each second the velocity is increasing. But at a CONSTANT rate. Thus the distance should increase by a constant plus constant x rate. In this case the distance increases by plus 10 over thr previous difference.