EK Physics or TBR Physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also, how worthwhile is it to do the EK 1001 books in prep for the MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

TBR Physics goes into a lot more detail and its passages are a lot more challenging then the EK 1001 Physics. I personally got both. I do TBR passages and EK 30 minute exams (exams are in the content books) . Then during the specified day on SN2 schedule I do all the EK 1001 questions regarding that chapter.

The way I see it,

Ek1001 are good for hammering down the concepts, where as the EK 30 minute exams and TBR passages are more like the MCAT ( a bit more challenging ). TBR is also more inclined toward the critical thinking portion of the MCAT.

Also, how worthwhile is it to do the EK 1001 books in prep for the MCAT?
TBR physics for sure. In my opinion, you are wasting your time with EK physics unless you want a mediocre score at best. TBR physics is too hard from what I have heard here on sdn, but I strongly disagree. The first physics course I took in university was probably DOUBLE the difficulty for the exact same concepts. When I did the very first TBR chapter and 1/3 passages, I only got 2 questions wrong. This says a lot. TBR is not as hard as it can get, and for the better, you should embrace the difficulty they give you. In fact, I feel robbed, as it is NOT difficult enough. The very hard stuff will make it less likely for you to cease up and have no idea whats going on in the actual MCAT.

On the other hand, this ideology works for me. Like I said, if you are not aiming for high marks, EK is sufficient. However, like most med students, we are over-achievers and strive to get as close to perfect as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
TBR is a joke, look in the 30+ study habit thread and you'l see the majority of people who got 35+ did so without using TBR. EK all the way.

TBR is a joke, look in the 30+ study habit thread and you'l see the majority of people who got 35+ did so without using TBR. EK all the way.
Thats true. But we will never know the statistics behind actual test scores compared to the prep they used. Even if some people got 35+ with EK, that could be because they are extremely competent individuals. Its better safe than sorry. I wouldn't risk using EK for all of MCAT studying if my future career depended on it.

Its good to prove the naysayers wrong, or maybe take the road less traveled, but I would rather go with the odds NOT stacked against me in order to get into medical school.