Ek psych

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yjj8817

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How is this book? I was thinking about supplementing with tpr psych

Members don't see this ad.

Content review-wise? Not good. I would primarily use TPR Psych. But EK does have good practice passages.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm going through it right now. It seems like a good first pass through the material but it seems really light on content. I think you would be ok sticking to TPR

I've used it and regret it deeply. It seems to cover only the tip of the psych MCAT iceberg

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I think that EK does a phenomenal job of simplifying difficult scientific concepts so that students can better understand them, hence why I believe their science books are great. However, psych/soc is a different ballgame -- the concepts are not all that difficult (most of it is actually common sense ideas simply with names of people and theories attached to them). I think that EK has made a mistake in taking the same approach to psych/soc that they have with the sciences, viz. simplifying the material. Psych/soc concepts don't need simplification for us to master them, they need to be applied and explained within the context of both experimental and real-life situations -- EK fails at doing this. I got the sense reading EK Psych/Soc that I was simply going through a dictionary of terms. They would literally just define a term, followed by another term, followed by another term, without going over what the term means in the broader picture.

Take-away: I do not recommend EK for psych/soc, but I highly recommend EK for the sciences.

I think the EK too often simplifies too much. If you know the material great but, if you're a bit weak, they will leave you wanting. I have the NextStep books, which are ok, so I supplement with the FREE Khan videos.