EK scoring

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

irule285

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since EK full lengths only give percentages, what's a good percentage if your aiming for say 128 + in one of the science sections?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly EK is the most deflated test company.I felt so awful everytime I took one of their tests. And their CARS section was killer- averaged around a 58%. And then got a 130 on the real thing. Next Step is much more accurate IMO.

Honestly EK is the most deflated test company.I felt so awful everytime I took one of their tests. And their CARS section was killer- averaged around a 58%. And then got a 130 on the real thing. Next Step is much more accurate IMO.

Hey, sorry for sort of high jacking your thread OP.

MI2015, the last NextStep full length I wrote I scored 499, however yesterday I took the scored AAMC full length and was extremely dissapointed, scoring 489. Although I had scored over 50% of the questions from C/P, B/B, P/S, and over 40% for cars correctly. I plan on scoring higher before taking the actual exam, but is the actual exam scored like this or does it just depends on how the people who had taken the same exam as you did that day?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, sorry for sort of high jacking your thread OP.

MI2015, the last NextStep full length I wrote I scored 499, however yesterday I took the scored AAMC full length and was extremely dissapointed, scoring 489. Although I had scored over 50% of the questions from C/P, B/B, P/S, and over 40% for cars correctly. I plan on scoring higher before taking the actual exam, but is the actual exam scored like this or does it just depends on how the people who had taken the same exam as you did that day?

Hey there. So please don't think I'm being rude when I say this, but did you use the scored as a diagnostic? Because if you have been studying it's hard to get a 489. Did something go wrong? Did you have distractions, weren't feeling it, tired etc? NS1 predicted a 515 for me- ended up with a 512. I got a 509 on the scored. The actual exam is based off of people in previous years. So Joe and Sara could take the test with me and bomb it, but if the people that had these questions last year did great on them, I still have a crappy curve.
When are you scheduled to take the test? It's really just better to leave the scored about 1-2 before the actual test.

Hey there. So please don't think I'm being rude when I say this, but did you use the scored as a diagnostic? Because if you have been studying it's hard to get a 489. Did something go wrong? Did you have distractions, weren't feeling it, tired etc? NS1 predicted a 515 for me- ended up with a 512. I got a 509 on the scored. The actual exam is based off of people in previous years. So Joe and Sara could take the test with me and bomb it, but if the people that had these questions last year did great on them, I still have a crappy curve.
When are you scheduled to take the test? It's really just better to leave the scored about 1-2 before the actual test.

Haha no you weren't being rude. I see! Thanks. It wasn't a diagnostic but I haven't really finished much of the Qpacks and haven't finished with content review. My test is scheduled for a month from now, August 19th. I'm thinking about rescheduling possibly for January. I've just been taking NextStep full lengths (7 so far, highest scores were two 498's and a 499) and reviewing my exams after, also Khan Academy for practice/content. Thanks for the help! I'd appreciate any more advice, I should probably get my hands on a set of books from a prep company. If you could recommend one that would be great.

Haha no you weren't being rude. I see! Thanks. It wasn't a diagnostic but I haven't really finished much of the Qpacks and haven't finished with content review. My test is scheduled for a month from now, August 19th. I'm thinking about rescheduling possibly for January. I've just been taking NextStep full lengths (7 so far, highest scores were two 498's and a 499) and reviewing my exams after, also Khan Academy for practice/content. Thanks for the help! I'd appreciate any more advice, I should probably get my hands on a set of books from a prep company. If you could recommend one that would be great.

Even though the EK exams were unhelpful IMO, EK is the best prep company- super concise. I supplemented Psych/Soc with TPR. Luckily i'm a psych major, so I didnt' have to study much for it. Please don't take any more practice tests until you have more content review done- you're going to keep getting lower scores than you would when you have the content down.
Also- have a MCAT journal. Every time you come across a concept or question you don't understand, write it down in your journal- I had like 100 pages. And review as much of it as you can every night. I cannot tell you how much this helped me. I went from a 26--->512 (32 ish on the old scale). What are you aiming for scorewise? If you're aiming for 505, keep reviewing content and try and make sure you get practice exams around a 505 (NS is harder so even 502, 503 NS). If you are aiming for higher, maybe reschedule for September? Or the new year I guess, but that's a long time to lose content while you're waiting.

Reactions: 1 user
Even though the EK exams were unhelpful IMO, EK is the best prep company- super concise. I supplemented Psych/Soc with TPR. Luckily i'm a psych major, so I didnt' have to study much for it. Please don't take any more practice tests until you have more content review done- you're going to keep getting lower scores than you would when you have the content down.
Also- have a MCAT journal. Every time you come across a concept or question you don't understand, write it down in your journal- I had like 100 pages. And review as much of it as you can every night. I cannot tell you how much this helped me. I went from a 26--->512 (32 ish on the old scale). What are you aiming for scorewise? If you're aiming for 505, keep reviewing content and try and make sure you get practice exams around a 505 (NS is harder so even 502, 503 NS). If you are aiming for higher, maybe reschedule for September? Or the new year I guess, but that's a long time to lose content while you're waiting.

Thanks for the quick response. Well, I'm aiming for as high of a score as I can achieve. I'm planning to apply next cycle, so I'm not necessarily in a rush. Ideally I'd like a score over 510. I'm planning to apply to DO and MD schools, but the only way I'd feel comfortable applying to MD schools is if I score over 510. I'll start getting in as much content as I can. Again, thank you for your help.

Reactions: 1 user