EK Verbal Curve Stiff?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lests55

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody think the EK Verbal curve is a little stiff? Comparing to a free Kaplan Diagnostic, my score would have been one point higher. I have gotten the same score on the first 2 practice tests (9's). A little frustrating...

Members don't see this ad.

The EK curve is accurate to me. Compared to the practice AAMC scoring charts, they are nearly identical. For those that took the EK 101 VR tests and the real MCAT, how did your actual VR score compare to your scores on the EK 101 ones? To me it seems like the EK questions are harder...

BTW that Kaplan diagnostic VR scoring chart is waaaaaaay too skewed...they want to scare you and also to safeguard the higher-score guarantee.

I was averaging 9s and 10s and the occasional 11 on the EK exams, and got an 11 on the real thing. My AAMC scores ranged from a 9 to a 12.

My scores on kaplan, EK, and AAMC were all in the 10 range after about 3-4 weeks of work. Real deal I scored a 10.

in my opinion:
kaplan has easier questions with hard to read passages
EK has tougher questions and easier to read passages
AAMC is a combo of the 2

The EK verbal 101 scores are accurate.
I felt that the verbal reasoning book that comes with the complete package was unusually difficult.

You probably just started so with time you will get the scores back up. I used EK for about 4 weeks then started using kaplan as well. Took me a couple of weeks to get my kaplan scores in the 10 range but occassionally I would bomb with a 7/8.

Members don't see this ad :)
SO I think I am going to purchase the EK study set for 180 off the EK website. DO you know of anywhere else I can get it for cheaper that will not take 4-6 weeks to get to me? Also, is it wise to buy the set; in other words, have people found the set useful in their studying?

R~

im getting kinda angry with verbal. did 10 passages today averaged a whopping 50% on all of them. ARGHH. seriously these passages suck hard core with answers analyzing a specific phrase in a whole damn passage. gotta have a photographic memory for this test i swear it :mad:

how come the scale has 23 questions but the actual test only 21? by the way I got served today taking the lecture1 30 min verbal test 10/21=6 scaled score :mad: any input on this? :confused:

cabrillo said:
how come the scale has 23 questions but the actual test only 21? by the way I got served today taking the lecture1 30 min verbal test 10/21=6 scaled score :mad: any input on this? :confused:
That screwy scale and those questions are really, really tough. I think I got 6, 7, 8 respectively on those end-of-chapter quizzes and pulled mostly 11s on VR in AAMC full lengths. Don't even bother checking your scaled scores on EK verbal lecture book. EK 101 is more accurate in terms of scaled score.

NapeSpikes said:
That screwy scale and those questions are really, really tough. I think I got 6, 7, 8 respectively on those end-of-chapter quizzes and pulled mostly 11s on VR in AAMC full lengths. Don't even bother checking your scaled scores on EK verbal lecture book. EK 101 is more accurate in terms of scaled score.

I think EK 101 is very accurate in predicting scores.

Their scales are nearly the same as the AAMC scales.

Napesakes,

Totally off topic, but since I don't know if you saw this on the other post I made to you.......I wanted to say CONGRATLATIONS on all the interviews you have received. I know you were real disappointed with your score on the MCAT and worried for a long while when others started receiving interviews. So I wanted to say way to go on getting all the invites you received and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! I'm sure you'll get in. :D

gujuDoc said:
Napespikes,

Totally off topic, but since I don't know if you saw this on the other post I made to you.......I wanted to say CONGRATLATIONS on all the interviews you have received. I know you were real disappointed with your score on the MCAT and worried for a long while when others started receiving interviews. So I wanted to say way to go on getting all the invites you received and GOOD LUCK!!!!!!! I'm sure you'll get in. :D

Thanks guju!!! Yes, I was pretty bumbed out last October, but it seems that schools are willing to give me the benefit of the doubt and assume I wasn't at my best on test day--which I definitely wasn't.

There's hope yet, people. At the very least, work hard studying for the Beast, show SOME competency, and in the end, impress the adcoms with more than your numbers.

cabrillo said:

That used to be the scale in the 3rd edition books. There used to be 23 questions, but after AAMC scaled the number of verbal questions down to 60 from 65, EK decided to drop the number of questions in their mini in class verbal exams down to 21.

Ookay now...i have taken two of the tests and scored 8 and 6 respectively...does anyone know if certain tests are harder than others in the EK 101 book??