electively bypassing pre-professional committee?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I go to a public university (20,000+ students) and not only do we have pre-professional committees, we have a pre-dental specific committee. But I've encountered some issues with them, and I'm ready to just skip them altogether and have my recommenders send letters directly to Interfolio this coming cycle. Is this a bad idea? (I know dental schools offer a choice but prefer the pre-professional committee.) There's been no drama; I get along with all parties involved and they seem like fine people. And I'm a totally chill non-confrontational person. But they seem disorganized and clueless about the dental admission process.

Here's the long boring story:

I've finished a degree. I did well--scholarship, honors, etc., but after a few years I have come back for a busy year of completing all the prereqs for dental school. I will finish this May, take the DAT in June, and apply. I've over-researched everything, I'm getting straight A's (on top of a great GPA from before), I've got my list of schools, I lurk on these boards, etc.

When I first got to school I looked up and had a conversation with... let's call him Dr. A, who's on the pre-dental committee. We had a good conversation, but he essentially deferred to another advising office or the pre-DDS club for any specific questions, including questions about the committee process, strangely. (I participate in the club already.)

I went to the science advising office, comprised of full-time non-teaching advisors. For all pre-professional advising they deferred to the newly-formed pre-professional advising office, similarly full-time non-teaching advisors who specialize in pre-professional. I went to that office and had a conversation with the manager, who set me up with a different advisor in his office.

She sat down with me and started giving me a speech about what the dental profession is like and giving me a list of dental schools in the US. I started to say "let me tell you a little about myself, I might be able to save you some time," when she cut me off and said "no, you really can't." So I sat through her speech and politely accepted her handouts. Fortunately, once she was done we had agreed on a timeline for my application process, and I finally had an administrative contact who understood my timeline.

For whatever reason, I'm required to have a dedicated PhD-bearing advisor as well, and she set me up with, let's call him Dr. B, who's also on the pre-dental committee. She wanted me to go talk to him in order to get to know the committee. Awesome. I go talk to him, he can barely speak english, it takes 10 minutes for me to explain to him about having one degree but coming back to school for prerequisites. Finally he understands my intent to see the committee this spring, and requests my transcripts. I return with them, and he spends the rest of the conversation unsolicitedly explaining to me how my great GPA isn't impressive until I take the DAT.

The conversation ends OK, but I just set the issues aside for a while... until today, because I need to understand the process now in order to give my recommenders time to get things together. So now, that lady in the professional advising office has quit. OK. I decide to go back to Dr. A. It's been 6 months since our brief conversation, and he doesn't remember me but that's fine I like starting fresh. We start talking about the committee and seem to be getting somewhere, but then he says something about admission for fall 2015. I explain that this is for fall 2016, and he asks why I'm not apply for 2015. I explain to him that the cycle is over. He asks why I'm there so early for 2016. I smoothly, warmly clear up the confusion to him and he seems satisfied. But since I'm taking the DAT this summer, he's reluctant to set up a meeting until this fall. He also tells me that pre-professional advising is in flux and that I should return to the pre-professional specific advising office in order to get a new advisor and ask them about the committee process.

So I go back to that office. They tell me that the pre-dental committee is only setting up spring interviews for students applying for fall 2015 (funny, since that cycle closed today), and that fall 2016 interviews will be set up in August or September.

Ok, they all seem like great people... but without using too strong language... this is a huge disservice to the students. Forget the confusion about the different offices and changes in advising. When your policy is to start committee interviews in August/September when many schools recommend that you have the entire application complete and in their hands by the beginning of August.... that's a waste of my investment in this process. No way, after all this, am I trusting a late August committee interview to be completed, written, mailed, processed by AADSAS, submit my AADSAS app, wait for my GPA to be verified, wait to receive secondary apps, finish those, be received and reviewed by the schools, and set up interviews early enough in November to have a chance at a Dec 1st notification.

Not to mention the fact that I won't even be a student here next fall and will probably live 12 hours away.

I've already got several professors and a dentists who will write me letters. I just want to go talk to them and do this myself. I'm happy to explain the issue in interviews if someone asks.

[/rant]

Members don't see this ad.

If there is a committees option, have them write it, but in this very unique circumstance, I'd say just use interfolio as it seems clear that these "professionals" have no idea what they are talking about.

Reactions: 1 user
You do not have to wait for your committee letter to be done in order to submit your application. If you are ready, finish it and submit it in early June. The early bird gets the worm.

If you know your letter-writers will write you STRONG letters of recommendation, then you are better off using Interfolio to store them and send them. In your case, even if you earned a strong committee letter, sending it out to schools in August/Sept is quite late. There is also a chance that you get a lukewarm letter and that would also diminish your chances.

I wouldn't worry too much about not having a committee letter as many students still use individual LORs. Keep up the grades and crush the DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Same situation as you when I had to apply. I asked some ppl who worked in admissions and they said it didn't matter if you did committee or individual letters. I think personally individual letters are better because the admissions committee gets full letters and not bits and pieces of those individual letters (how pre health committee makes a letter) and why should they say they "recommend" you or "don't recommend" you when they never went to Medical or dental school (most are just PHDs for my pre health), make the admissions committee make that decision. Anyway, I had a pre health committee at my school and elected to do individual letters and had 5 interviewers so......

Just do individual ones and don't deal with the nonsense.

Reactions: 1 users
...but then he says something about admission for fall 2015. I explain that this is for fall 2016, and he asks why I'm not apply for 2015. I explain to him that the cycle is over. He asks why I'm there so early for 2016. I smoothly, warmly clear up the confusion to him and he seems satisfied.

OMG :smack: You've got to be joking.

Do it on your own. I felt like my advisers were non-supportive and sometimes downright discouraging. I avoided them afterward, sent letters directly, and the schools to which I applied didn't seem to care one way or another.

Reactions: 1 users
Just use professors for your LORs. Its realistically no one else's business to help or hinder your path into dental school.

I may be biased since I probably won't get one, but I never understand why an advisor would write a letter based off of my letters when adcoms could just look at direct source.

I'd check with schools before you make any decisions. I'm not sure how common this is but I know Pitt is requiring a committee letter for this upcoming cycle.

I was forced to skip my committee letter because I accidentally sent out the invite to upload a letter to one too many professors before my pre-health advisor did it. Anyway, I had some letters which were (what I believed to be..) strong because they were written by my PI which i knew for 3+ years and some other professors who knew me really well. No committee letter and I have 5 interviews, 1 wait list and 1 acceptance so far. Skip the committee and upload your professor letters. IMO

If the school knows of your pre-dent committee and you apply without the "packet" they provide, it may hurt your application. I was told the dental school would know you went to XYZ University and know that you don't have a committee letter. Why would a dental school accept someone that isn't recommended for acceptance by their undergrad school?

If the school knows of your pre-dent committee and you apply without the "packet" they provide, it may hurt your application. I was told the dental school would know you went to XYZ University and know that you don't have a committee letter. Why would a dental school accept someone that isn't recommended for acceptance by their undergrad school?

Or they might not care at all. I applied to, interviewed at, and was accepted at two schools this cycle. One straight up requires a committee letter and the other absolutely knows that the university I'm at does them because it's a big feeder school. Neither school cared that I submitted four letters.

There are plenty of reasons for and against using the committee, but they're always going to be highly contingent on individual circumstances. The best answer is to probably ask schools to which one intends to apply how critical it is to use the service.

my school also has a committee but i didn't use it. Worked out fine.

Or they might not care at all. I applied to, interviewed at, and was accepted at two schools this cycle. One straight up requires a committee letter and the other absolutely knows that the university I'm at does them because it's a big feeder school. Neither school cared that I submitted four letters.

There are plenty of reasons for and against using the committee, but they're always going to be highly contingent on individual circumstances. The best answer is to probably ask schools to which one intends to apply how critical it is to use the service.
You only applied to two schools?

You only applied to two schools?

Yes. Just about everyone and their brother told me not to apply this cycle. I'm a bit older and want to get this done ASAP. I have kids, and my wife and I made a priority list of places we'd be willing to move for four years. By the end of this school year, I'd only finish the requirements for a handful of them, so I went ahead and gave it a shot. I have a pretty unique background and good grades, so I figured my chances weren't improved much by adding on more schools, especially because I submitted my application kind of late. I turned out to be right and got accepted to both schools.

Schools aren't going to penalize an superb applicant for NOT having a committee letter especially if the individual LORs are fantastic and speak volumes about the applicant.

Thanks for the input everyone. As @shays brought up, there two dental schools within 4 hours of my school who are at least somewhat familiar with the programs at my school--and that's a concern, but I don't think it's enough to justify delaying my application to the other 10 schools on my list. At this point, I plan on talking to the professors myself.