Electrostatics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I just finished reading this section and it was by far the toughest one so far. I don't think I even have a good understanding of the topic. Any tips on how to get a better understanding of electrostatics?

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha....that's awful.

Um regarding electrostatics, I thought TPR's Physical Science book does a good job explaining it.

what did you read?

I read TPR but I thought it was extremely detailed. I looked over examkrackers today and I think I got a better understanding. Might just be a tough topic so I'll probably need to read through it one more time.

Members don't see this ad :)
What specifically don't u understand about electrostatics
may we people here can help you understand concepts

Electrostatics is a tough topic to understand for the first time. What worked for me was repetition. NOVA has some good practice questions for that section. I also found it helpful to relate electricity with gravity, you know like gravitational field/electric field and height/distance between charges and gravitational potential energy/electrical potential energy. It'll click eventually.

I just finished reading this section and it was by far the toughest one so far. I don't think I even have a good understanding of the topic. Any tips on how to get a better understanding of electrostatics?

i recommend halliday, resnick, and walker as a good reference text. Do every problem, and consult the SSM as needed.
Electrostatics is a simple-to-understand topic if you're willing to put in the time.

i recommend halliday, resnick, and walker as a good reference text. Do every problem, and consult the SSM as needed.
Electrostatics is a simple-to-understand topic if you're willing to put in the time.

I second the suggestion of halliday, resnick and walker. It is an excellent physics book. The chapter on electrostatics does contain calculus oriented problems, but those sections can be skipped. There are also good problems at the end of each chapter that test the concepts.

you should become familiar enough with it so that is becomes as intuitive as mechanics in terms of making sense of problems, and not just using formulas

Three protons are positioned at the corners of an equilateral triangle with sides 2mm in length. What is the electric field at the center of one of the three edges of the triangle?
take k=9*10^-9 e=1.6*10^-19.
Also find the electric potential at that point due to the protons.