EM and Sports Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lj1230

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently at the end of my MSIII year and I had a few questions. So far I think I want to do EM (I don't get to actually do it till July), but I have also always been interested in sports medicine and was considering doing a fellowship after residency.

Now all the fellowships I see are either primary care (including EM) or Family med only. Are there many EM docs that do a sports med fellowship? What types of opportunitys are open to them after the fellowship? Only work in the ED or office work too?

Any advice or imformation would be appreciated, Thanks!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently at the end of my MSIII year and I had a few questions. So far I think I want to do EM (I don't get to actually do it till July), but I have also always been interested in sports medicine and was considering doing a fellowship after residency.

Now all the fellowships I see are either primary care (including EM) or Family med only. Are there many EM docs that do a sports med fellowship? What types of opportunitys are open to them after the fellowship? Only work in the ED or office work too?

Any advice or imformation would be appreciated, Thanks!!!!

An attending at my program has a dual appointment in EM and Orthopedics. She did a sports medicine fellowship at Allegheny Hospital in Pittsburgh. She loves what she does and is good at it. This is a nice niche.

The hospital that I work at has a FP residency and they have a sports medicine fellowship. Each year they take 1 FP resident and 1 EM resident. The EM resident (fellow) actually does a shift a week in the ED with us. You can PM me if you would like more info...