EM doc go to jail for a mistake?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

I don't if anyone watches ER anymore (we all know how realistic it is) but on this weeks episode Kovac was accused of malpractice and had to stand trial. To make a long story short, the guy came in with pneumonia and eventually had a stroke (dont' know the connection there). He claims that the ER was busy and that Kovac ignored him. Kovac claimed that he offered the guy TPA as soon as they realized he was stroking out. When Kovac returned to the ER after trial they said it was good to see that he did not go to jail.

Can an EM doc really go to jail for making what he thought was the best judgement call? I know that if you hurt someone on purpose you could get in trouble. But if you give the best treatment you can with a bad outcome can they lock you up? Honestly, I really want to go into EM but the stats on how much EM docs get sued scares me. I know there have been posts like this before, but I am specifically asking about getting in real trouble not just monetary loss

BMW-

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,

I don't if anyone watches ER anymore (we all know how realistic it is) but on this weeks episode Kovac was accused of malpractice and had to stand trial. To make a long story short, the guy came in with pneumonia and eventually had a stroke (dont' know the connection there). He claims that the ER was busy and that Kovac ignored him. Kovac claimed that he offered the guy TPA as soon as they realized he was stroking out. When Kovac returned to the ER after trial they said it was good to see that he did not go to jail.

Can an EM doc really go to jail for making what he thought was the best judgement call? I know that if you hurt someone on purpose you could get in trouble. But if you give the best treatment you can with a bad outcome can they lock you up? Honestly, I really want to go into EM but the stats on how much EM docs get sued scares me. I know there have been posts like this before, but I am specifically asking about getting in real trouble not just monetary loss

BMW-

They were teasing him. It was a civil suit - no jail, just money and reputation at stake.

Members don't see this ad :)
jail time involves something criminal. Unless you pushed potassium into someone's veins to kill them, on purpose, or committed assault and battery by shoving in that central line while the patient refused (and was lucid), you wont' go to jail.

Malpractice lawsuits are civil cases, just money, not criminal cases.

Fear not! Em is the bomb.
Q

jail time involves something criminal. Unless you pushed potassium into someone's veins to kill them, on purpose, or committed assault and battery by shoving in that central line while the patient refused (and was lucid), you wont' go to jail.

Malpractice lawsuits are civil cases, just money, not criminal cases.

Fear not! Em is the bomb.
Q

Go study, Quinn! :smuggrin:

hey guys,

BMW-
I still watch ER[sic], but no, going to jail is not going to happen to me. Until that bastard dad comes in with his sexually abused 13 year old daughter (by him). Then I might go to jail. But until then...

Thanks guys very re-assuring. EM is back on the top of my list then if all they can do is take my career, my house, my car and possibly my wife and dog (LOL) no big deal!! ER has been a good season now that they are getting back into procedures and less of a soap opera. John Stamos is suprisingly good after Full House and the new female surgery resident is hot!

BMW-

this is a pretty decent season of ER - kinda surprised me