EM Observership Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Knife & Gun Club

EM/CCM PGY-4
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

So I'm a soon-to-be med student currently on my gap year and decided to pick up an Observership/Research experience with an EM physician at the county ER. I'm gonna be doing research on trauma cases and will be doing the night shift Friday and Saturday nights.

I was just curious if anyone had any advice for do's and don'ts while I'm in the ER. Also any thoughts on how to get the most out of the experience and determine if I should continue to pursue EM through medical school. Any good books to read that talk about the field would also be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Just enjoy your time off, this experience won't be useful unless you somehow publish, in which case if the topic is trauma then it would help more for a surgical residency probably. "Observership" sounds basically like shadowing. It's the most boring thing imagineable IMO but to each their own.

I agree with the above. Enjoy your time and do something more worthwhile, something non-medical, non-EM related.

You have a guaranteed spot in medical school and a year off. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You really want to waste it shadowing a doctor and doing boring research?

What would be far more interesting to an interviewer would be "oh yeah I spent my gap year traveling to XYZ country and learning XYZ language," etc.

Reactions: 1 user