EM Residency Curriculum

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Panama Red

Supa Dupa Fly Doc
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been browsing thru various EM residency curriculi and noticed that some places offer 4 weeks of vacation each year (PGY1-3), while some offer 2 for PGY1 and 3 weeks for PGY2,3. i was wondering if this is indicative of whether a residency program works it's residents to death or values a resident's need to have a life outside of the ER?

Members don't see this ad.

Panama Red said:
i've been browsing thru various EM residency curriculi and noticed that some places offer 4 weeks of vacation each year (PGY1-3), while some offer 2 for PGY1 and 3 weeks for PGY2,3. i was wondering if this is indicative of whether a residency program works it's residents to death or values a resident's need to have a life outside of the ER?

i can't answer completely, but i do know that several of the programs that offer 4 weeks have one of the four during one of the national conferences that all of the interns must go to. while conferences are usually fun and a big social scene, you really only have three weeks of vacation that you dictate the whens and whats on. hope this helps.

Keep in mind that the RRC mandates that residents attend 70% of all scheduled conferences (and require documentation to back this up). Different programs have their conferences scheduled on different days, and as such, this may effect the vacation schedule. Some places also offer vacaton schedules that are not advertised (i.e. you are allowed 5 conference holidays each year, etc). Christmas and New Years are also often included in vacation days that may not be advertised. I don't think looking at vacation time could predict how hard you will work as a resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
Panama Red said:

Usually vacation amounts are set by the institution for all residents, not by the program. Don't think it correlates well with the difficulty of the program.

NinerNiner999 said:
Keep in mind that the RRC mandates that residents attend 70% of all scheduled conferences (and require documentation to back this up). Different programs have their conferences scheduled on different days, and as such, this may effect the vacation schedule. Some places also offer vacaton schedules that are not advertised (i.e. you are allowed 5 conference holidays each year, etc). Christmas and New Years are also often included in vacation days that may not be advertised. I don't think looking at vacation time could predict how hard you will work as a resident.

Thank you for the reply. It was informative. You are in what year of your residency at Johns Hopkins? I have been looking into programs in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Illinois, DC..... (Basically in your region). I am currently an MSIII in FL.