emegency GI question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

internalmedicin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys,

does anyone know or have witnessed GI's doing colonoscopies/endoscopies while sitting down instead of standing up.........its a very long story....but i need to know the answer to this question very soon.....thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

internalmedicin said:
hey guys,

does anyone know or have witnessed GI's doing colonoscopies/endoscopies while sitting down instead of standing up.........its a very long story....but i need to know the answer to this question very soon.....thank you!!

The correct procedure is done standing up. You have most control over the instrument and the patient's comfort in this position. Any instructional text will tell you so. See Cotton, Practical Endoscopy, 2003.

There is a two-person endoscopy method where the steerer stands, and the feeder sits. The feeder is usually an endoscopy nurse. This is less used in the united states.

If you have a disability, you could possibly arrange it so that you are sitting on a high stool with the patient's bed/gurney at the lowest setting. Not ideal, but if you are unable to stand for whatever reason that may be the best option.

AJM said:
If you have a disability, you could possibly arrange it so that you are sitting on a high stool with the patient's bed/gurney at the lowest setting. Not ideal, but if you are unable to stand for whatever reason that may be the best option.

do you think that this is a significant enough thing that i should decide not to chose that as a career because of this?? this is very important to me.......i really like the field, but i have a lot of pain when i stand for more than five minutes....what do you think? can i arrange it, can i get through fellowship like this??

thanks !!