Emergency Medicine Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Born2baDoctor

Medicine: A Natural High
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think if there would eventually be an emergency medicine fellowship after completeing internal medicine residency? You probably already know this is in place for peds residency graduates.

Members don't see this ad.

Born2baDoctor said:
What do you guys think if there would eventually be an emergency medicine fellowship after completeing internal medicine residency? You probably already know this is in place for peds residency graduates.
It will never happen in the next 20-30 years, and is unlikely to happen ever.

Pediatricians who do a fellowship in pediatric emergency medicine are NOT boarded in emergency medicine. They are not eligible for board certification. They are subspecialty certified by the American Board of Pediatrics in pediatric emergency medicine.

No specialty allows fellowship training to qualify for board eligibility. You don't hear of general surgery graduates doing an internal medicine fellowship and being board-certified in internal medicine. You don't hear of internal medicine graduates doing anesthesiology or diagnostic radiology fellowships and getting board certified in their respective fields.

The chances of this happening with a one- or two-year fellowship are almost nil. What can happen is that you complete another residency. If you finish your residency within 2 years of starting your training in emergency medicine, you can get up to 6 months of credit toward your residency (pending program director and RRC approval). This must be agreed upon in writing before you start an emergency medicine training program and may not be agreed upon after starting training.

southerndoc said:
It will never happen in the next 20-30 years, and is unlikely to happen ever.

No specialty allows fellowship training to qualify for board eligibility.

I may be wrong, but according to this Family Medicine "Emergency Medicine Fellowship" you qualify to take BCEM after completion. There are other Family Medicine ED fellowship programs who make this claim as well.

http://www.aafp.org/fellowships/10597.html

Members don't see this ad :)
exgomdiver said:
I may be wrong, but according to this Family Medicine "Emergency Medicine Fellowship" you qualify to take BCEM after completion. There are other Family Medicine ED fellowship programs who make this claim as well.

ABEM does NOT recognize any of the FP fellowships. You cannot take the written and oral boards for EM board certification through the American Board of Medical Specialties with these fellowship programs.

the only way you can is to complete an EM residency.

The BCEM (AAPS) that they are referring to is not the accrediting body for EM. It is only recognized in Florida I believe.

It's not a branch of ABMS which boards all specialities.

later

exgomdiver said:

This will lead to certification only in the state of Florida.

Hercules said:
This will lead to certification only in the state of Florida.

Actually, it will lead to LICENSURE in the state of florida. ACEP contends that there is a difference between physicians who take BCEM's exam and those who complete residency training. Though the state of Florida may recognize the BCEM examination, you'd be hard pressed to find physician groups and hopitals that will hire a BCEM recognized physician over a residency trained individial.

Simply put, board CERTIFICATION in emergency medicine is granted to graduates of RRC approved training programs.

pushinepi2 said:
Actually, it will lead to LICENSURE in the state of florida. ACEP contends that there is a difference between physicians who take BCEM's exam and those who complete residency training. Though the state of Florida may recognize the BCEM examination, you'd be hard pressed to find physician groups and hopitals that will hire a BCEM recognized physician over a residency trained individial.

Simply put, board CERTIFICATION in emergency medicine is granted to graduates of RRC approved training programs.

Good point on differentiating licensure and certification.

Hercules said:
Good point on differentiating licensure and certification.

Quinn and other anchors of this thread have discussed emergency medicine fellowships in great detail. The Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) maintains a list of post graduate fellowships for emergency medicine physicians that is regularly updated. Graduates of emergency medicine residencies can pursue training in a wide variety of areas. Avenues of opportunity include:

Sports medicine
Administration
Research
Critical Care
Toxicology
Pediatrics
Undersea/Hyperbaric medicine
EMS

Not all of these programs lead to additional qualifications. The BCEM approved fellowship referenced in this thread is not approved by ACEP or the RRC. It represents an alternative pathway for physicians from other specialties to gain additional experience in emergency medicine. Its not that the BCEM fellowship is inferior. Rather, emergency medicine as a specialty has worked long and hard to equate board certification with residency training. Practice tracks have closed several years ago, though it is still possible for internal medicine and other primary care docs to find jobs in emergency departments across the country. Medical students seeking a career pathway in emergency medicine should make every effort to match into one of the RRC approved programs.

pushinepi2 said:
Quinn and other anchors of this thread have discussed emergency medicine fellowships in great detail. The Society of Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM) maintains a list of post graduate fellowships for emergency medicine physicians that is regularly updated. Graduates of emergency medicine residencies can pursue training in a wide variety of areas. Avenues of opportunity include:

Sports medicine
Administration
Research
Critical Care
Toxicology
Pediatrics
Undersea/Hyperbaric medicine
EMS

Not all of these programs lead to additional qualifications. The BCEM approved fellowship referenced in this thread is not approved by ACEP or the RRC. It represents an alternative pathway for physicians from other specialties to gain additional experience in emergency medicine. Its not that the BCEM fellowship is inferior. Rather, emergency medicine as a specialty has worked long and hard to equate board certification with residency training. Practice tracks have closed several years ago, though it is still possible for internal medicine and other primary care docs to find jobs in emergency departments across the country. Medical students seeking a career pathway in emergency medicine should make every effort to match into one of the RRC approved programs.
How could you forger ultrasound? :(

colforbinMD said:

I know but US isn't recognized as an official fellowship, yet, I think at least, but I'm sure it will be!

colforbinMD said:

Holy crap. You're absolutely right. Perhaps I should have an RDMS certified em ultrasound fellow ultrasound my brain for waves of forgetfulness. Considering the many applications of EM ultrasound, real-time brain pulse-doppler monitoring can't be far off.

Other fellowships I forgot to mention:

Salesmanship, or how to "sell" admissions to capped medicine teams
Conflict resolution
Abscess Dermatology
Poor Dentition and Public Health
First Trimester Bleeding
Hallway Medicine
Waiting Room Triage and Self Defense
Suicidology

-Push

pushinepi2 said:
Salesmanship, or how to "sell" admissions to capped medicine teams

This one works everytime: "I'm just looking at the best interest for the patient. I will tell them the cross-cover for their primary physician doesn't want to admit them, and then admit them to the university service. They can discuss this in person with their regular physician. Of course, they may not ever see their regular physician again after this ordeal."