Emergency Medicine Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomVariable

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently a med student who's trying to get involved in EM research as I have recently found the field to be amazingly interesting with it's patient population and procedures.

I'm particularly interested in either geriatric emergency or emergency peds research. However, I'm worried about residency programs thinking that I am more interested in the fields of peds or geriatrics over emergency itself after seeing that I was involved in these types research on my resume. Am I just being a paranoid medical student? Or would doing research in any these fields still point towards my interest in EM as a whole? Thanks so much in advance everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. I'm currently a med student who's trying to get involved in EM research as I have recently found the field to be amazingly interesting with it's patient population and procedures.

I'm particularly interested in either geriatric emergency or emergency peds research. However, I'm worried about residency programs thinking that I am more interested in the fields of peds or geriatrics over emergency itself after seeing that I was involved in these types research on my resume. Am I just being a paranoid medical student? Or would doing research in any these fields still point towards my interest in EM as a whole? Thanks so much in advance everyone.

Shouldn't be an issue at all. Geri EM in particular is a field stating to grow as the boomers age. If it truly interests you then go for it.

I think, yes, you are being a little bit med-student-paranoid. Research is a positive, don't turn it into a negative in your head. If it happens to be in peds, or geriatrics, so what? You're "interested in EM now" and you've "made up your mind." We all know choosing a specialty is very hard. I suppose EM-specific research might be a little more stellar, but many people get into great programs with zero research experience. Research experience of any type, shows you're motivated and have the experience to jump into any other type of research, whether be EM related or other. Chill out. It's a plus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys, I think I'm gonna just go with what I'm passionate about and stop my MS neuroticism :)

FYI: UNC has a couple of attendings specifically involved in GeriEM research and has had a geriatric EM fellow for the last two years.

Doing any research as a med stud is great; even if it's entirely unrelated to what you ultimately end up choosing. Go for it.

Hi,
I am looking for a small research project but finding one has stressed me out so much I can't come up with anything. Anyone have any ideas for a small research project in emergency medicine?
Thanks,
N

There's no downside to working on research that fits your interests. Geriatrics and pediatrics both fit squarely into EM research topics. The goal, at your level of training, is to develop skills. The specific content doesn't matter.