Emergency Medicine Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrChandy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of any insititutions which have summer programs for medical students looking to do em-related research between ms1/ms2?

Members don't see this ad.

DrChandy said:
Does anyone know of any insititutions which have summer programs for medical students looking to do em-related research between ms1/ms2?
There's a program at UBC whereby one can do summer research and receive a stipend. I applied for it last year and found a position in emergency medicine, but I think this is limited to only UBC students. However, I'm sure most schools both US and Canadian have similar programs in place.

UNC Chapel Hill has had a program in the past...they have some research didactics along with the research assistant position. Most everyone gets some type of publication or presentation out of it. When I did it, several years ago they had mostly their own students but also some from other places. Dr. Jane Brice was in charge.

In Ohio Summa Health System and Akron General Medical Centers have programs for the med students from their own schools for summer research and sometimes there were outside people working with those programs as well.

Contact the dept. office directly for any places you're interested in going...the worst they could tell you is no.

Members don't see this ad :)
anonymousEM said:
UNC Chapel Hill has had a program in the past...they have some research didactics along with the research assistant position. Most everyone gets some type of publication or presentation out of it. When I did it, several years ago they had mostly their own students but also some from other places. Dr. Jane Brice was in charge.

In Ohio Summa Health System and Akron General Medical Centers have programs for the med students from their own schools for summer research and sometimes there were outside people working with those programs as well.

Contact the dept. office directly for any places you're interested in going...the worst they could tell you is no.

Unfortunately, the UNC program has been discontinued due to budget cuts. It is too bad really because it was an excellent summer experience for those interested in EM and research that also allowed you to pick up a little money at the same time.

I'll be doing the Academic Associate Program at the Department of Emergency Medicine at Cooper Health System (UMDNJ, Camden) this summer as a pre-med but I think they also accept medical students. There's a similar UPenn program across the bridge in Philly.

USF has a program that funds medical student research during the summer between first and second year (for USF COM students). There are a number of faculty involved from all departments including EM.