Emergency Room Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctor1963

Reaction score
I hope all are having a good holiday season, as best as possible in this crazy COVID world!

I was doing EM locums, had done a few shifts. The ER director called me every shift and gave me some suggestions but said he was happy with my work. It was a critical access hospital, I was the lone ER doc.

Recently I was told that I would not be offered any more shifts. Per the ER director - No bad outcomes, No major mistakes. The ER director said I should pursue more ER work after I get more procedural experience. I agree with him.

I am going to do CME procedural classes in 2021 and work in urgent care (have alot of UC experience).

A couple of questions, does the above happened often? In other words, no warning before being told no more shifts.

The other question: I dont want to be the only doc in the ER in the future, too difficult unless you have alot of experience or ER trained. What types of ER jobs would be best? The ER director suggested I start with fast track positions in an ED setting. Any other suggestions? Are those types of jobs readily available?

I thank you for all you do.

Members don't see this ad.

How can you have lots of urgent care experience but lacking in procedures? Sounds like maybe nursing didn't like you - generally lots of nursing politics in those small hospitals. Been victim too many times. Same thing happened to me in an urgent care clinic in Wyoming that I literally kept open for 18 months working 6 days a week. Wanted to go back if given the option since I had a really good time there. The locums company was told, "We will never have her back". No explanation, never had complaints that I knew of. It happens and it sucks. If you can swing it I would suggest getting some shadow time in a very large ER for experience before trying to do it alone.

Reactions: 1 user
How can you have lots of urgent care experience but lacking in procedures? Sounds like maybe nursing didn't like you - generally lots of nursing politics in those small hospitals. Been victim too many times. Same thing happened to me in an urgent care clinic in Wyoming that I literally kept open for 18 months working 6 days a week. Wanted to go back if given the option since I had a really good time there. The locums company was told, "We will never have her back". No explanation, never had complaints that I knew of. It happens and it sucks. If you can swing it I would suggest getting some shadow time in a very large ER for experience before trying to do it alone.
Couldn’t have said it better myself. You will find with hospitals/ urgent cares, they don’t care about your outcomes but more of if they like you. Not to get preachy but that mentality is killing good patient care faster than anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope all are having a good holiday season, as best as possible in this crazy COVID world!

I was doing EM locums, had done a few shifts. The ER director called me every shift and gave me some suggestions but said he was happy with my work. It was a critical access hospital, I was the lone ER doc.

Recently I was told that I would not be offered any more shifts. Per the ER director - No bad outcomes, No major mistakes. The ER director said I should pursue more ER work after I get more procedural experience. I agree with him.

I am going to do CME procedural classes in 2021 and work in urgent care (have alot of UC experience).

A couple of questions, does the above happened often? In other words, no warning before being told no more shifts.

The other question: I dont want to be the only doc in the ER in the future, too difficult unless you have alot of experience or ER trained. What types of ER jobs would be best? The ER director suggested I start with fast track positions in an ED setting. Any other suggestions? Are those types of jobs readily available?

I thank you for all you do.

Were you transferring out patients who needed xyz procedures?

I doubt you get many intubations, central lines, chest tubes, and other similar procedures in an urgent care

Reactions: 1 user
I doubt you get many intubations, central lines, chest tubes, and other similar procedures in an urgent care
I wasn't reading your original post that way. I was thinking you were saying that you did urgent care and didn't do anything like sutures, casts, injections, nails, etc.