MPH Emory Global Health vs. GW Maternal and Child Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

snowy_owl

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm trying to decide between pursuing my MPH at Emory in Global Health (with a concentration in Reproductive Health and Population Studies) or at George Washington in Maternal and Child Health.

I'm having trouble deciding because Emory is higher ranked (top 10 - nice) and has the CDC right there, but GW (which is #14) has all of DC. That's relevant because I want to work in women's health policy. Would going to a higher-ranked school give me a better shot at a future policy job than being in the nation's capital while I get my degree?

I also have a $10,000 scholarship to GW (total; $5,000 per year). But with the cost of living in DC being higher than it is in Atlanta, I'm not sure how much of a difference that will make...

How much does ranking matter? Do you attend either of those schools, and what has your experience been like there? Which of the two, from what I've said about myself, do you think would be a better fit?

I feel like I'm forgetting something, so if you have any questions or need clarification please ask away.

I really appreciate your responses in advance! :)

Members don't see this ad.

sorry for bumping this thread, but does anyone have any ideas?

I can't speak to Emory but I used to work in women's health policy and like you said, GW is better in that area. They have the Jacobs Institute for Women's Health and I haven't seen any other institution that has a women's health policy center, at least one that's nationally known.

Have you visited both schools? This will really help you get a better sense and 'feel' of the campus and city, and how you see yourself fitting in with the culture. Also thinking about where you might want to live post-grad will be helpful because your networks will primarily be where you are located geographically. Good luck with your decision!

Hi, I currently go to Emory for my MPH in Global Health. There are professors who are very passionate in the work they do in sexual/reprductive health. However, I do think GW probably has a better scene for policy, whereas Emory is better for research or programmatic work. I agree with moonwave89, you should visit both schools. The cost of living in ATL is definitely a LOT less than DC (I'm originally from the DC area as well).