Emory Ob/Gyn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYN07

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback about Emory's program? Saw that some from '06 interviewed there, but no one ranked Emory...and if they did, they ranked it low. Would appreciate positives and negatives.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I heard rumors that residents have left the program in recent years. Correct me if I'm wrong but my source is pretty reliable. That's not a good thing for any program to have.

This has already been discussed on Top Programs in Ob Gyn thread...

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=300942

I liked the program as a sub-I, given the challenges of the specialty, I would not hold anything against a program where some residents switch to another field (in this case to IM which is tops there as well).

Members don't see this ad :)
When you are a resident in a program, its way different than when you are a medical student rotating through. As a student you are there for maybe 4-6 weeks doing 1-2 rotations. As an intern/resident, you are rotating through the different fields, overwhelmed by the patient load, teaching responsibilities, new lifestyle(80hr work week), and stress of trying to read up on all the topics. You get to really see what the program is really like, how they support their residents and whether there really is some malignancy. Why would 2 interns leave that program last year? I also heard that residents sleep wherever they can when they are on call b/c they don't have their own call rooms. That sucks. I'm not knocking their training b/c tough programs, even malignant ones, can produce really good physicians and I believe Emory has good numbers and their residents get great experience. Picking a program is such a stressful ordeal and I think finding out as much as you can about a program is a good thing and what you do with that information is your decision.

Thank you all so much for the feedback. Superspec, I will actually be doing an elective at Emory in October and plan on spending some time on L&D while I am there. I do appreciate the heads up about the call room situation, and possible explanations for the resident losses.