Emory Pain Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pandavirus

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep hearing negative things about this program...and I am not sure what to think.

Any opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't go there. That's where the ebola patients are going

Actually I interviewed there and met the program director, Mckinzie-Brown or whatever her name is... eh, I wasn't super impressed. I remember some of the fellows talking about covering in patient call where they had to do thoracic and lumbar ESIs at the bedside. I was like wha?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
club, didnt you do anesthesiology residency? i got very comfortable doing blind epidural catheters.

honestly, there have been a few times when i have had an extraordinarily difficult patient (LOL with severe arthritis and no interlaminar opening, for example, or patients that have extreme trouble holding still), that i revert back to my anesthesia training and go by palpation alone...

club, didnt you do anesthesiology residency? i got very comfortable doing blind epidural catheters.

honestly, there have been a few times when i have had an extraordinarily difficult patient (LOL with severe arthritis and no interlaminar opening, for example, or patients that have extreme trouble holding still), that i revert back to my anesthesia training and go by palpation alone...
No actually PMR. I didn't like the idea of having to go the floor for blind epidural catheters in a pain fellowship. Sure, it may be part of acute pain management but I was more interested in learning to do the outpatient stuff that I do now. I try and stay as far away from the inpatient side as possible

Reactions: 1 user

If even tougher, do you ever close your eyes and revert to The Force?

i know some anesthesiologists who are The Force....

i would guesstimate that 95% of all epidurals for post op pain, for which we have pretty good evidence for postoperative pain control, are done blind. it gives another option, instead of always having to fluoro someone to death, of how to start with an epidural, then confirm with the usual methods (contrast, obliques, etc.)

i know some anesthesiologists who are The Force....

i would guesstimate that 95% of all epidurals for post op pain, for which we have pretty good evidence for postoperative pain control, are done blind. it gives another option, instead of always having to fluoro someone to death, of how to start with an epidural, then confirm with the usual methods (contrast, obliques, etc.)

10 sec for interlaminar?

It's always good to learn more than one way to perform a procedure. That being said the acute pain service is painful.... I felt like I provided every bloodpatch in New England during my fellowship and haven't done a single one in 6 years of private practice. -knock on wood-