Emory Transitional Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maxxor

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about the Emory TY experience, or specifically, the radiology TY track? I've searched around and all I can seem to find are 7+ year old threads that mention Emory has a TY but not much beyond that.

Looking for:
1. Culture between TYs and Prelims/Categoricals
2. How are the medicine months?
3. What electives are available? (their website is lacking...)

I'm at med school up north, but went to Emory for undergrad and am from the area, so I'm trying to sleuth out if the place is worth considering.

Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone know anything about the Emory TY experience, or specifically, the radiology TY track? I've searched around and all I can seem to find are 7+ year old threads that mention Emory has a TY but not much beyond that.

Looking for:
1. Culture between TYs and Prelims/Categoricals
2. How are the medicine months?
3. What electives are available? (their website is lacking...)

I'm at med school up north, but went to Emory for undergrad and am from the area, so I'm trying to sleuth out if the place is worth considering.

Thanks all!

1. Treated pretty equally, couldn't tell any difference b/t prelims/TYs/categoricals. PD for TY is excellent
2. Tough, q4 long call w/ caps of 10 per intern at Grady, admit everyday at midtown, not sure of EUH
3. Not sure for radiology but IIRC, you don't get many electives months, it's def not a cush TY, more similar to a prelim than TY but you also get good training and experience

Thanks a ton F80! For others tuning in, here's what I've found so far curriculum wise.

There are three tracks for the TY: Anesthesia, Radiology, and other. For Rads, you have the following schedule:

4 ward IM
1 MICU
1 ER (adult/peds)
1 ambulatory/primary care at the VA
2 radiology electives
3 other electives (at least 1 IM elective)

So 5-6 hard months, but 2 rads electives.

The TYs do not get freedom pay ($60/mo for lunch) while the prelims and regular IM folks do. We are def 2nd class citizens and the only reason I'm posting this is I wish I had known. Since we don't have clinic, based on who your attending/resident is on wards TYs also sometimes end up taking more patients.