Emory University OMFS Externship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EnglishDial

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an externship at Emory in a few months, any tips on a good place to stay at? can externs stay in their on call room? thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

hey- can u email me [email protected] where u found this info. i have a few friends at emory univ undergrad.. but didn't know there was a dental externship there..

i went to emory for undergrad so if you have any questions about campus i can do my best to help you out. the closest place to stay would be the emory inn or the conference center. it isnt the cheapest place but it is only about a half mile or so from the hospital. there is a courtyard not far away ( i believe it is in the "executive park") that usually has good prices and a hampton inn that is just off of i-85 on north druid hills road.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. Hey Jsvlad, Emory has a OMFS program, I'm not sure if they have any other dental specialty programs. but you can go online to their med school and look under residency and you'll find OMFS in General surgery department.

Thanks. Hey Jsvlad, Emory has a OMFS program, I'm not sure if they have any other dental specialty programs. but you can go online to their med school and look under residency and you'll find OMFS in General surgery department.

emory does not have any other dental programs. they shut down their dental school around 1990.

any more suggestions on where to stay while at Emory? any previous Emory externs out there?? thanks

I externed at Emory, and here's the situation from my short stay:

There are 3, possibly 4 sites that you'll rotate through, so staying in the call room is close to impossible. I dont think that externs normally do it, but I may be wrong. I tried to find some place that was central to all three hospitals (Crawford, Grady, and the Emory Clinic) which will put you close enough so that you'll have a short drive early in the morning when you have to show up at these different hospitals. Google the different hospitals, and find a place that's close. I stayed at the Highland Inn, which was pretty expensive if you don't have the traveler's discount. Some cheaper options that come to mind were the Motel 6, or Super 8. Just make sure that you're not far away because you will be expected to be on time, and traffic can be bad.

Regardless, it's going to be an expensive stay. You have to pay 10 bucks a day for parking, and food. It's worth it, though. They let you help with extractions at Grady, you see some ridiculous surgeries, and the residents are hillarious. You'll learn a lot.

If ever you're on a budget here is a great deal:

You can stay right in front of Grady hospital in a double room (with a med student) for about 100 to 150 $ for 1 month I think.

The building is secure and owned by Grady.

There is a free shuttle that takes you from there to all the hospitals.

PM me for more info