Employment Contract

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Grim

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum but I'll try it....

If I sign an employment contract with a private practice (out of state) but later for personal reasons I'm not able to relocate, what will happen?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Technically, if you've signed a contract and you breach it, they could sue you for damages. They probably won't, because it's not worth the hassle. Good luck getting a job with anyone they know, though.

Not sure if this is the right forum but I'll try it....

If I sign an employment contract with a private practice (out of state) but later for personal reasons I'm not able to relocate, what will happen?

Thanks.

This actually just happened to me but I already started the job and worked 4 months. Things weren't working well for my family and rather than get divorced and have miserable children I chose to resign and move on to a happier situation for all of us. I found a new job first then went and talked with my boss, explained the situation- lots of tears, etc. Anyway, they let me out of my contract, I put in my official letter of resignation and worked through the end of the month. My penalty for quitting in less than one year was I had to pay back my moving allowance and had to purchase my own tail coverage. Those two things were 15,000 total. I was able to get it in my contract at my new job to have this debt covered in lieu of a sign on bonus/moving allowance so I would break even. I paid for my own moving to another state. It worked out and everyone is much happier. The main thing is to be honest and upfront and give plenty of notice so the facility can find a replacement physician.

The main thing is to be honest and upfront and give plenty of notice so the facility can find a replacement physician.

Yes!!!!.....Protect your licence.