EMS director

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tri4thlete

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I did a quick search on Google and didn't too many great results. Plus I want to hear from you all anyway.

I'm a second year med student, but prior to med school I was an EMT for 5 years and absolutely loved it. Our medical director was extremely involved in a lot of our training and was really inspirational for me. What does it take to become an EMS director? Can you get a job like that straight out of residency? Do you NEED to be an EM doc? Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all!

I did a quick search on Google and didn't too many great results. Plus I want to hear from you all anyway.

I'm a second year med student, but prior to med school I was an EMT for 5 years and absolutely loved it. Our medical director was extremely involved in a lot of our training and was really inspirational for me. What does it take to become an EMS director? Can you get a job like that straight out of residency? Do you NEED to be an EM doc? Thanks :)

Although you don't technically have to be an EM doc, almost all are. EMS directorships of small groups offer very little pay, so people aren't fighting for the jobs. There are EMS fellowships if you really are into it.

Great to hear, thanks for the response!

I'm currently an EMS fellow. While almost all EMS directors are EM docs, more and more are starting to looking for fellowship trained EMS docs. Now that EMS in an accredited subspecialty of EM, that is going to increasingly be the case.

Reactions: 1 user