EMT/ Athletic Trainer???? HELP!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sportsfanatic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about 3 Months in to my emt certification class, and my first goal was to become a firefighter/emt-paramedic.But i am also interested in Athletic Trainer.....my question is, would getting my emt and keeping my certification not only help, but better my chances of being an athletic trainer???

i looked all over online, could not find anything that answered my questions....PLEASE HELP!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Many athletic training programs around the country are pretty hard to gain entrance into because they only select a certain amount of kids (anywhere between 10 and 20 kids) per year out of the possible 200+ in the "pre-athletic training" emphasis.

At my university, when it came time to fill out the application at the end of the year in order to gain acceptance into the program, individuals who were certified EMT got a significant amount of extra bonus points added onto their application.

Also, those individuals with an EMT seemed to do better on the emergency, acute, and first aid care portions of the curriculum. They have a leg up on the rest of us and sometimes have personal experience with the concepts we covered in that day's worth of classes.