EMT-B curriculum

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know some of you have EMT-B licenses and I was just curious about the rigor of your training. I am taking the course in January 2010.

Another quick question. I took a professional rescuer CPR/AED class and I can't say for sure that I remember every little detail from the class. I still have the handbook for reference. When I start taking this class, will it automatically by assumed that I know all aspects of CPR and how to use a defibrillator?

Also, was the licensing exam difficult?

I can handle taking undergraduate classes and AP's on top of everything else I've been doing. I really can't see myself struggling too too much with this EMT-B class. But you never know. Hence why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I got my EMT-B during college a couple years before I started med school. It's easy. You're not expected to know anything going into class. Only thing required is immunizations (mmr, ppd, hep-b, etc..) They'll teach you what you need to know, HCP-CPR, AED, BTLS. There was a relatively big time commitment, especially for your clinicals (you'll have to get so many hours in an ambulance and so many hours in an ER). Clinicals are the only thing that impede on your real classes. Cert exam was easy, written and hands on.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know some of you have EMT-B licenses and I was just curious about the rigor of your training. I am taking the course in January 2010.

Another quick question. I took a professional rescuer CPR/AED class and I can't say for sure that I remember every little detail from the class. I still have the handbook for reference. When I start taking this class, will it automatically by assumed that I know all aspects of CPR and how to use a defibrillator?

Also, was the licensing exam difficult?

I can handle taking undergraduate classes and AP's on top of everything else I've been doing. I really can't see myself struggling too too much with this EMT-B class. But you never know. Hence why I'm asking.

Thanks in advance.

Don't become an EMT if you don't plan on actually working as one. Don't waste your time taking a class if your just doing it as a resume buffer, or something to have on your medical school application. Only take an EMT class if you actually have a desire to use it (pet peeve).

Depending on your school, you may be expected to know the CPR book front and back. In my class, the first day was just a rather large CPR/AED test, and if you didn't remember your stuff, and you failed, it counted for one of your two tests you can fail the entire course - there are roughly 8 tests, each test is over 4-6 chapters. I hear a lot about classes that are a complete joke, the material is easy yes, but our teacher picked rather "difficult" problems to challenge us, instead of the simple "26 y/o resp. distress resp. 36 shallow, cyanotic, pulse ...... what should you do?" All in all, the material is easy, some parts are a number game, where you have to remember memorize respirations, and pulse rates for every age group, and know them front in back (which is easy).

The National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians CBT exam is very easy, my test had a lot of CPR questions, but over all, easy. The practical skills evaluation is I'd say more difficult than the CBT, just because your in a big room with about 15 other people testing, and there is one lady calling out peoples numbers, and telling you which room to go to ... It made me nervous at least.

I took the course and got my certification during my senior year of high school. Personally I thought it was very doable with AP courses, EC's, etc.

Though I do agree with Fedekz, don't bother getting it if you have no plans of using it.

Good luck!

protocol protocol protocol

For most state certification exam you have to do a medical, trauma and AED station. You will have to do certain things in a certain order or you will not pass. Its not that bad just requires some practice which makes sense because when your faced with one of these situations in real life what to do next should be relatively instinctive at least for the basic level.