EMT Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftmyerskid35

Late Bloomer
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I know some people do EMT programs and then work in the hospital to get clinical experience. Do those credits count towards your undergrad GPA?

Members don't see this ad.

they most certainly do not count towards undergrad...it is an entirely separate certification and coursework.

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends. Some colleges do offer EMT classes for credit, if I remember correctly.

It depends. Some colleges do offer EMT classes for credit, if I remember correctly.

This is correct. Some colleges offer EMT courses through the university. To receive college credit it would have to be through the school though.

At Cornell I was able to get 6 graded credits for the EMT-B course (two semesters), and I know that some other colleges offer it as well.

My school offers emt classes as part of the school. So credits do count towards undergrad.

There are a couple of ways to get your EMT certification. If there's a paramedic program at a community college or the like in your area, they almost certainly offer EMT-Basic classes for credit. Whether those would be accepted at your college or not would depend on your college's policies. When I lived in Boston, Boston University offered an EMT class for credit; there are colleges that offer it.

If you want the cert but don't care about college credits, there are many, many ways to get the card. Hospitals, ambulance companies, and fire departments sometimes open their classes to the public (the first two being far more likely than the last). If you're in a more rural area with volunteer fire/rescue/ambulance departments, they will often give you the class and textbook for free in return for a commitment to volunteer there. That would give you some clinical experience in addition to a free certification that looks good on your app.

Either way, it's hard to go wrong. An EMT certification is a good entry-level qualification that lets you see the nuts and bolts of medicine up close. Plus there's the whole thing about how you could save somebody's life, blah blah blah. :)

TN schools do not accept EMT-B/IV/P credits as part of a degree in any way. I fought this battle to try and save some cash. No go. It does depend on the school though. I think UAB accepts EMT-P credits. Also check with AACOMAS about if it'll count for that gpa as they compile it independently from your university(ies). I can't remember how that worked.

This definitely varies here in Colorado. I have also fought and fought to have either my Paramedic or my Basic classes recognized and they are most definitely not by University of Colorado. However, Metro State does recognize the credits and in fact has it's own Paramedic program via Denver Health. Hope this helps!

didn't feel like reading the whole thread... but i know that some EMT programs do offer college credit... I received I think 8 credits for my cert.

I also have 8 credit hours in my gpa from my EMT-B cert. Took it at a CC and it was factored into AACOMAS like all my other courses/schools.

IamAriDO