Encouragement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

packofneurons

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm still pre-med, but this semester has been a total mess. For personal issues, etc, I am doing horrible.

When you guys get bad grades, how do you cope? I had a 3.9 before this semester, and I'll probably end up with a 3.0 or lower, which is a big hit on my overall GPA. I feel defeated.. and I don't know how to overcome this situation positively.

If you guys could give me advice/support, that'd be amazing! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Seven years ago I was all up on what medical schools thought about stuff, but I'd say you're human. You were doing quite well - better than I did in college. Some unfortunate things happened to you, and you had a set back. Big deal. It happens to everyone at some point. Do your best again. Continue on with your dream.

Let this be your rude awakening and excel in the remaining semesters. No one is perfect, and we all make mistakes. Do some evaluating and consider what needs to change for you to be back on the right track. I think you will do just fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, I try to take each day one at a time. If today was a bad day, and you didn't accomplish what you wanted, don't carry that attitude over to the next day. Try to see if you can change any of the current problems and maybe your grades won't suffer as much. Hope things get better. Just remember, this too shall pass.

Well you still have some time left in the semester. If you have bona fide personal reasons for doing poorly, explore your administrative options to take an incomplete or two in some classes where you could make up the work over the summer. Then make sure you are taking full advantage of office hours, tutoring, practice problems etc. in your remain classes.

Doing poorly in one semester is not the end by any means, but pulling this semester up to a 3.3 instead of a 3.0 will make a significant difference to your bottom line. So don't give up yet! :)

Yeah, you just have to take a deep breath and make sure you don't let past performance affect future performance. I know it's hard to let go of the past (especially when it's not the past yet), but you have to for your own sake.

I had one semester with a 3.01 myself and I managed plenty of acceptances. Competitive ones, too.

It's doable -- just make sure you do NOT get discouraged. Do not let one semester get in your way.

Also make sure you sort out the personal issues before attempting another semester. If you think these issues are going to affect your performance next semester, then it may be wise to just drop classes for a semester. I realize that's not what medical schools want to see in non-trads, but it's better to take your time and do well than to take an irreversible hit to your GPA. Any bad grades you accept are there permanently; and the ones closest to your application may weigh more heavily on your admissions given that you are a non-trad (like me).

That said, remember that one bad semester won't kill you and keep doing your best.

I'm still pre-med, but this semester has been a total mess. For personal issues, etc, I am doing horrible.

When you guys get bad grades, how do you cope? I had a 3.9 before this semester, and I'll probably end up with a 3.0 or lower, which is a big hit on my overall GPA. I feel defeated.. and I don't know how to overcome this situation positively.

If you guys could give me advice/support, that'd be amazing! :)

Wait what happened? How did you go from a 3.9 to a 3.0 in one semester? Did you get sick or fail a class? Can you be more specific?

I'd love to help and offer some advice, but I need to know your story a bit better.

Wait what happened? How did you go from a 3.9 to a 3.0 in one semester? Did you get sick or fail a class? Can you be more specific?

I'd love to help and offer some advice, but I need to know your story a bit better.

Thank you everybody for your words! They are what I needed. Sometimes I feel so alone at my University - like everybody understands the material and is trying their best where I am not always.

Chairman - I won't be getting a 3.0 overall, I just meant for the semester. I didn't get sick or fail any classes. But for a person who hasn't gotten previous B's, it scares me to see that I may get a C or 2 this semester (in core premed classes as well). I'll just have to keep motivating myself. :)