Endocrinology in Dental curricula?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fflander

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am enrolling for my final semester of undergrad and it looks like I will be forced to take endocrinology. All of the other Upper Div electives are taken. Does anyone know if Endocrinology is even necessary in dental school?

Thanks,

fflander

Members don't see this ad.

You can check the CDs that you have applied to see if you will take a course in endo... To my knowledge, there is not a specific course on it (seeing I am not in dental school) However, we do have to take physiology. Last spring I finished a physio course here at UF that was REALLY hard. One of the most challenging portions was understanding all of the intricacies of hormone action. This was also true for the course I took in comparative anatomy.

Frankly, it sounds like the class is going to be a bear, but it is my experience that the classes that are the most difficult you take the most away from.

-C

There is plenty of endocrinology in dental school (major topic for part 1 boards) . If you have to take it in undergrad it can only help.

12YearOldKid said:
There is plenty of endocrinology in dental school (major topic for part 1 boards) . If you have to take it in undergrad it can only help.
Agreed. You won't be managing your patients' diabetes, but more knowledge of human physiology can only help.