Engineering student: What do I need to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bittg

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys :)

I am new to this community, so please let me know if I'm posting in the wrong group, using this inappropriately, breaking any rules, or reposting any already existent threads (tried to do a preliminary search, but the threads I found so far didn't cover all of my questions).

I am a 3rd year engineering student at the University of Waterloo. I'm in Systems Design engineering, and these next few years my program allows me a lot of flexibility (for an engineering program) to pick electives. This is convenient timing, as recently I have started to play with the idea of applying to med school more and more.

The questions I have are:
1) Are universities easier on engineering students in terms of GPA? My GPA is not competitive in comparison to friends of mine who are in Science, Arts or other programs. With absolutely no offense intended, I think engineering is generally considered to be a bit more difficult in undergrad. Is this accounted for? My GPA for each year is:
1st year: 3.7 (81.04% avg)
2nd year: 3.3 (78.28% avg)
First semester of 3rd year: 3.7 (81.6% avg)

I am hoping that from this point my GPA will increase, as the second half of second year, and first half of third year are supposed to be our toughest terms in my program but a large margin (and I got over those hills now).

2) With the stated GPA, and with hopes of it improving, what scores would I need on the MCATs to be competitive?

3) The program I am in has alternating co-op (which is the main reason I am posting a new thread). I have very unique co-op experience, as I have worked 3 full terms at two different medical device start-ups in the GTA, and I also worked at Apple (which I think is a pretty impressive name to have there). As well I hope to take my last co-op off, and volunteer for something like Doctors of the World. Will this help improve my chances with my GPA being less then stunning?

4) Along with co-op, I have been in directorship positions with Engineers Without Borders, volunteered with a bunch of other causes, and plan to join On-Campus response this term as well as the Syrian Refugee foundation near my school. Will these activities improve my chances? Another thing to add is that due to my EC's in high school, I was awarded the largest scholarship in Canada (the Loran Scholarship) which I am hoping will also make my application standout.

5) Last question, what courses would help me play catch up from this point on? I have taken a basic 100 lvl kin course (Intro to Neuroscience) and I am taking a 200 level bio course (Physiology).

Any advice anyone could provide would be veryyyy appreciated. I am expecting the worst feedback (as in I'm **** out of luck for Canadian med schools), so recommendations on alternative avenues to med school would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking about chances in the US?
https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/
1. For the most part, gpa is gpa, without regard to major.
2. A very small proportion of internationals matriculate (300 of 1,901). They tend to have higher scores than domestic students. 512 or higher would be good as the 83rd percentile is the median for US matriculants.
3. I don't know what a co-op is (in this context).
4. Volunteerism is a plus. International "missions" are not always the best way to demonstrate this, though. High schools honors are not generally included in medical school applications.
5. You would need to calculate your AMCAS gpa in order for us to see where you stand. There is a calculator in the sticky at the front of this forum (Important, how to format your WAMC thread...).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Are you asking about chances in the US?
https://students-residents.aamc.org...ool/article/applying-international-applicant/
1. For the most part, gpa is gpa, without regard to major.
2. A very small proportion of internationals matriculate (300 of 1,901). They tend to have higher scores than domestic students. 512 or higher would be good as the 83rd percentile is the median for US matriculants.
3. I don't know what a co-op is (in this context).
4. Volunteerism is a plus. International "missions" are not always the best way to demonstrate this, though. High schools honors are not generally included in medical school applications.
5. You would need to calculate your AMCAS gpa in order for us to see where you stand. There is a calculator in the sticky at the front of this forum (Important, how to format your WAMC thread...).

I am mainly interested in Ontario/Canadian med schools, but would like to know more about the chances of getting into the US as well. I heard right now MDs are having difficulty getting residencies if they are international MDs, so I would be concerned about aiming to go to the US.
1. That's what I figured. Is the GPA calculated by the top 5 full semester courses taken each semester, or as a total GPA? I ask because I typically take 6-7 courses a term, where I usually do bad in one, dropping my GPA. If schools only look at the top 5 courses, I'm in better shape.
2. That's good to know. Would you know what would be competitive in Canada?
3. Co-op = internships, so I have done 5 four month engineering internships at various companies, working full 40 hour jobs.
4. What are some good examples of the type of volunteer activities that make an application strong?
5. I believe my overall AMCAS gpa is hovering around a 3.7

Members don't see this ad :)
I am mainly interested in Ontario/Canadian med schools, but would like to know more about the chances of getting into the US as well. I heard right now MDs are having difficulty getting residencies if they are international MDs, so I would be concerned about aiming to go to the US.
1. That's what I figured. Is the GPA calculated by the top 5 full semester courses taken each semester, or as a total GPA? I ask because I typically take 6-7 courses a term, where I usually do bad in one, dropping my GPA. If schools only look at the top 5 courses, I'm in better shape.
2. That's good to know. Would you know what would be competitive in Canada?
3. Co-op = internships, so I have done 5 four month engineering internships at various companies, working full 40 hour jobs.
4. What are some good examples of the type of volunteer activities that make an application strong?
5. I believe my overall AMCAS gpa is hovering around a 3.7
1. No, all grades are added together. We see year by year as well.
2. I don't.
3. ok.
4. Service to the sick and those in need. Hospice, TFA, Peace Corps, Planned Parenthood...
5. That's the average for matriculants.

Reactions: 1 user
1. No, all grades are added together. We see year by year as well.
2. I don't.
3. ok.
4. Service to the sick and those in need. Hospice, TFA, Peace Corps, Planned Parenthood...
5. That's the average for matriculants.

Thank you for this information! Very appreciated.

Hi! I am also an engineering student at uwaterloo.
How have things turned out for you? Is there any useful information regarding this topic you have learned over the years, that you wouldn't mind sharing?
Thanks