English pass/fail - already graduated, what are my options?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Niyamo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I know that this question has been asked; but my situation is a bit different as I already graduated. I took one English class pass/fail for pre-med requirements. I originally made this decision as the most popular English classes for pre-meds at my school are mandatory pass/fail and med schools have been fine with that. In my case, however, I decided to go for an upper level English class and naively thought that taking that class pass/fail wouldn't do any harm (it's not because that I wanted to slack off; I just wanted to explore something without too much of the grade baggage). I have taken all other courses during my undergraduate for letter grades and have done well in all of them.

I guess my questions now become -

A. will having taken one English class pass/fail affect my chance of getting interviews/accepted? I know that in some cases, schools will accept applicants under the condition of finishing a specific course requirement before enrollment. Is that generally true? What has your past experience been?

B. If the question to A is yes, I guess that I will take a summer course or an online course from like Harvard extension school. What would you recommend?

Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

I've talked to/emailed the adcoms of a lot of different schools about taking an English prereq at a community college (when they state that they don't accept community college prereqs). While that's not exactly your issues, I've ALWAYS gotten the answer that they will make an exception for something small on your app and look at it holistically, if you overall app is strong.

I've contacted roughly the "top" 30 schools about this, so if that's the range you're applying to, I wouldn't worry. You could always just call the schools you're interested in and ask.

You should be fine. I P/Fed an English Class too.

Just don't let the school bully flash his D Card at you.