English Requirement Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Veritas27

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I noticed that most med schools require 6 semester hours of English, however, my school is on a quarter system. I have taken 2 classes of 4 units, so 8 quarter units. 6 semester units translates to 9 quarter units, so technically I am missing 1 more unit.

I'm in my last quarter before I graduate, which is summer. I was enrolled in an English class but it got cancelled and there isn't another class with "english" in the name. Should I take a comparative literature class instead if it isn't "writing intensive" ? The only other option would be a class called "media writing", which is writing intensive; would this count?

Should I take 1 more English class at a community college?

Or should I not worry at all since 8 quarter units is pretty close to 9 quarter units? Do schools care that much?

Thank you in advance for any help!!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know how your school manages English requirements for you to graduate with your degree. What other writing-intensive classes have you taken?
Writing and poetry, I've fulfilled my requirement to graduate but I'm talking about med school 6 semester unit English requirements

Members don't see this ad :)
Writing and poetry, I've fulfilled my requirement to graduate but I'm talking about med school 6 semester unit English requirements
As usual, check with the schools. I don't think you're applying this cycle (right?) so see if you can get a quick response from admissions staff at the schools you are interested in. They may be busy with orientation and interview planning, but someone should get back. For me, those seem okay.

Take 1 more easy unit and get A+. Don't try to complicate things.