enthalpy of formation vs enthalpy of reaction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebillsfan

Unseasoned Veteran
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the enthalpy of formation, ∆Hf, of hydrogen
iodide at 298 K? (Note: The bond energies of H2(g), I2(g), and HI(g) at 298 K are 436 kJ/mol, 151 kJ/mol, and 298 kJ/mol, respectively.)

Okay so the relevant equation is H2+I2-->2HI. Now I got this wrong because I calculated the total energy released, which is something like -9 kJ. When they say enthalpy of formation, are they just talking about ONE MOLE of product formed? So I shouldve divided my answer in two?

So do we need to make a distinction between the total heat released/heat of reaction AND heat of formation? One is extrinsic and the latter is intrinsic (without regard to number of moles)?

Members don't see this ad.

What is the enthalpy of formation, ∆Hf, of hydrogen
iodide at 298 K? (Note: The bond energies of H2(g), I2(g), and HI(g) at 298 K are 436 kJ/mol, 151 kJ/mol, and 298 kJ/mol, respectively.)

Okay so the relevant equation is H2+I2-->2HI. Now I got this wrong because I calculated the total energy released, which is something like -9 kJ. When they say enthalpy of formation, are they just talking about ONE MOLE of product formed? So I shouldve divided my answer in two?

So do we need to make a distinction between the total heat released/heat of reaction AND heat of formation? One is extrinsic and the latter is intrinsic (without regard to number of moles)?

heat of a rxn is often reported as a per mol value as well

Yes. 1/2 H2 + 1/2 I2 --> HI. Hf is the enthalpy of this reaction.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I'm pretty sure they will always specify, ie. say something like 'molar heat of enthalpy'.

So the total energy released is -9 kJ but because they are asking for the enthalpy of formation, ∆Hf, the answer is -9/2 kJ = -4.5 kJ?

correct. i swear they didnt say molar. they just said enthalpy of formation. i think if it's something "of formation" we can assume its molar. if it says total heat released or "heat released" i'm not going to do it per mole.