entry level healthcare consulting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PlatinumPenny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

For the year that I have off while applying to med school, I would like to get some experience in healthcare consulting. Are there any entry-level positions available?

Background: Non-business major from top west coast public school, MPH from private school

Members don't see this ad.

Hard to find a firm that will settle for only a one-year commitment. The standard is 2-3 years because they invest a lot in training you. Furthermore, it's harder to enter as a healthcare consultant specifically. Most enter as generalists and then go on to specialize. In order to start in fall, most people must interview the fall BEFORE. Sorry! Have you considered test prep as a way to keep the money flowing?

Would it be possible to enter a 2 year consulting analyst program but leave after 1 year for medical school? I understand that firms would strongly discourage this since they invest so much in training you but would there be any actual consequences?

Would it be possible to enter a 2 year consulting analyst program but leave after 1 year for medical school? I understand that firms would strongly discourage this since they invest so much in training you but would there be any actual consequences?

I would hope there would be consequences. They would likely have you sign a contract that required a certain amount of reimbursement if you left before honoring your commitment. Businesses can't afford to absorb the cost of spoiled kids who make a commitment and then leave before helping the company make money off of the investment.

I would look for other opportunities, you don't want to tarnish your name