General Epi / Health Policy Program at Stanford?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yvette_Publichlth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! It's my first time to post here! :)

It it obvious that Stanford doesn't have their own program in Public Health, but some division under the medical school sounds very close to public health program, such as Stanford epidemiology / health service research.

What confused me is that, I never find anyone who ever attended it, and there's almost "zero" information about the program on the Internet...SO WEIRD! Is it too small that only a few would like to apply? Or too competitive that few people were admitted?

Thanks for any insights about that. I'm just toooooooo curious!

Members don't see this ad.

I was under the impression that Stanford does not have an MPH. Rather, their medical students that choose to pursue an MPH do so through UC Berkeley. Additionally, if you look at this list (http://ceph.org/accredited/) you will see that Stanford is not listed. Although there are many schools that have MPH programs that are not CEPH accredited, going to a CEPH accredited school can be important depending on your intended career path. So even though Stanford does not have an MPH, keep this in mind while doing your search!

I was under the impression that Stanford does not have an MPH. Rather, their medical students that choose to pursue an MPH do so through UC Berkeley. Additionally, if you look at this list (http://ceph.org/accredited/) you will see that Stanford is not listed. Although there are many schools that have MPH programs that are not CEPH accredited, going to a CEPH accredited school can be important depending on your intended career path. So even though Stanford does not have an MPH, keep this in mind while doing your search!
@IntriguedStudent , Much appreciated with your insight! Yes, Stanford does not have an MPH, but they have MS/PHD in epidemiology / health service research under their medicine school. I take a look at the curriculum and find it very similar to some research-oriented programs(like MS, ScM, MHS) under many SPHs. So I was wondering what's the difference between them. Is it just because that Stanford does not have a SPH so they put these divisions under their medicine school? How about the students composition in these division? Where do they come from? Where do they go after graduation? After all Stanford is a very brilliant university, especially its medicine school, so I guess these divisions would not be too bad..

@IntriguedStudent , Much appreciated with your insight! Yes, Stanford does not have an MPH, but they have MS/PHD in epidemiology / health service research under their medicine school. I take a look at the curriculum and find it very similar to some research-oriented programs(like MS, ScM, MHS) under many SPHs. So I was wondering what's the difference between them. Is it just because that Stanford does not have a SPH so they put these divisions under their medicine school? How about the students composition in these division? Where do they come from? Where do they go after graduation? After all Stanford is a very brilliant university, especially its medicine school, so I guess these divisions would not be too bad..

There are other medical schools with CEPH accredited MPH programs (Mt. Sinai for example). I would imagine that the majority of the students in the MS/PHD program at Stanford are medical students that want to add a research degree to their clinical degree. As such, I would assume it's very research oriented. As to where they go after graduation, if my thoughts are true, most of them would go into academic medicine or clinical research. Stanford has an excellent school, but that does not mean that it has an excellent epidemiology program. And as I've said, if you are interested in going into public health, keep in mind that they are not a CEPH accredited school (which is important to many governmental positions, and most notably the CDC if something like that is your end goal). Were you to attend, I'm sure you would get an excellent education. However, I definitely suggest you visit and find out more details about the program. What percentage of their students have or are working towards an MD? How much funding is given to their department for research? Are research opportunities available to somebody without an MD?