Epidemiology: MS vs. MPH

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

n3t

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
From reading other threads, I believe I understand the difference between the MS and MPH programs for epidemiology.

I am hoping somebody could explain the difference in employment options and career paths that each epidemiology degree would offer.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Mph for practice
Ms for research

Reactions: 1 users
For a terminal degree [as in you won't be pursuing anything further, and going into public health practice like SPSS mentioned], an MPH might be more ideal. Ms is for acquiring research skills; they usually have a thesis requirement

Members don't see this ad :)
Mph for practice
Ms for research
This is the answer I always hear. I had this same question and what I am really wondering is if I get an MS and want to work at a health department will I be unable to get a job because it is not an MPH? Likewise, if I get an MPH and want to work in research will I have trouble getting a job because it is not an MS?

This is the answer I always hear. I had this same question and what I am really wondering is if I get an MS and want to work at a health department will I be unable to get a job because it is not an MPH? Likewise, if I get an MPH and want to work in research will I have trouble getting a job because it is not an MS?

You won't be excluded. Pursue the education that best fits your goals--your skills will still be applicable enough to a non-research setting with a research degree and visa-versa.