Epidemiology PhD Statement of purpose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted652242

Hi all,

I'm currently working on my statement of purpose and one school asks to include a paragraph about any thesis/manuscript you may have written. Now, I did a secondary data analysis and my question is whether or not I should include the results of my analysis. It just ends up sounding very technical since I have to mention odds ratios (I don't include the OR, just how odds are greater/lower). Or should I only include the methodology? This would simply be where my data is from and what kind of analysis I performed and what statistical program I used... Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you'd have to go into a lot of detail. They are only asking for a paragraph and I assume they just want it so that they can get an idea of what your research interests may be. It just helps them match you to a professor.

Since it only requires a paragraph I am guessing you don't need to get into too much detail (probably something like an intro sentence, one or two sentences on methodology, and one or two sentences on results). I doubt they are expecting a whole lot to be included in the paragraph because some people will have multiple theses/manuscripts and so the paragraph will probably be more listing them in that case. That being said I don't think sounding technical is bad as long as you know what you are talking about. The audience is composed of professionals in the field so they should understand! I would definitely have someone proof read it if you can, preferably also someone in the field.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Would anyone be willing to go over my statement? Especially if you're in the field.