PhD/PsyD EPPP Changes with the DSM-5?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OneNeuroDoctor

Clinical Neuropsychologist
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The DSM 5 will be used for the EPPP beginning in August 2014. Since there will be no norms for the first groups taking the EPPP with the DSM 5 will this area have a reduced influence on their total score? One other question, as I am aware of some programs where the EPPP is used for Master's level licensure that the EPPP is used for their comprehensive exams to advance to the doctoral portion of their program. Would this be a good model for doctoral psychology programs to require EPPP passing as equivalent to passing doctoral comprehensive exams? Additionally, in some programs if you have already passed the EPPP before starting their PhD/PsyD program you may be exempt from taking their comprehensive exams.

If the EPPP is suppose to measure what you have learned during your MS and PhD studies, with the changes taking place with the DSM 5 many students who have been out of school for a year or two will need to take refresher courses. To ensure that this does not happen in the future, would it be more feasible for the ASPPB and the EPPP to have the testing during MS training before advancing to doctoral level training as in part of the comps? The programs would still have the oral comps and/or written case study comps.

If it was taken during graduate school, it is possible that student loan or assistantship money would pay for the EPPP. I have heard that some programs actually pay for the EPPP courses and for the registration fee for the EPPP as part of their graduate training. They have study groups with instructors teaching refresher courses to prepare for the EPPP. They also have a high pass rate for the EPPP using this model.

I gather that smarter people than me have discussed this whole concept of passing the EPPP in the process of gaining licensure with the next step being Oral Exams, but it seems that the whole process of gaining licensure has become extremely expensive and new companies are opening up declaring if you spend $1500 or more you will pass the EPPP as has 90% of the students who have gone through their program. To me this seems somewhat backwards....you invest your time and energy in five to six years of graduate programming and internship, but then you have to take an exam mostly over general psychology and now over a new DSM 5 that you have not had courses over. My take is that covering of the DSM 5 should only be for new students beginning this year and students who were in a programs prior would still have the DSM 4 TR on their EPPP. I have known of some individuals who do not take the EPPP until four or five years after graduation with their PhD, so they may have to learn everything over again.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People who pay for and take the workshops actually have the lowest pass rate for the EPPP. Also, no need to drop 1500. Get some old materials and study up on the DSM-V changes and you should be good.

http://www.apa.org/gradpsych/2012/11/eppp-myths.aspx

I had about 3-4 questions, at most, that required knowledge of diagnostic criteria for a mental disorder, so I really don't think this is very big deal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say that to be fair, it makes sense for the national licensing exam for psychologists to make use of the currently-accepted and used diagnostic criteria. Thus, even if folks didn't have classes using the DSM-5, we're all still expected to know it regardless. Same goes for ICD-10 once things start switching over to that.

And I agree--in most instances, the classes seem to be slight overkill. I think many people can pass just fine on their own, but I admit, even I was somewhat anxious at the idea of potentially "wasting" $600+ by failing; unfortunately, test prep companies capitalize on this fear through said workshops.

I was also surprised they decided to include DSM-5 material so quickly. I'm on internship now and finished classes last May. Being that the changes weren't even announced until my last month of school, we only covered them briefly in one class. My internship didn't even start consistently using DSM-5 criteria until a few months ago. I guess the obvious point is that we are already supposed to be using this information at this point, but I was surprised they didn't hold off on this change for another year. Glad to hear there isn't much of it on the exam.

My take on the DSM-5 and it's effect on EPPP is that it would be minimal. To my knowledge, most of the diagnostic criteria are unchanged for most of the disorders. The biggest change was to Autistic Disorders and Substance Disorders and it was actually simplified in some ways. Basically just classify as mild, moderate, or severe. Also, they got rid of the Axis system, but we still use it here at the hospital.

I just took the EPPP in mid-August (still awaiting my score). I honestly do not recall thinking during the exam, "aha, here's a DSM-5 question." Don't get me wrong, there were of course some diagnosis questions, they just did not seem that DSM-5 specific. My guess is they may be phasing in the DSM-5 slowly, and in the meantime re-using questions that are valid for pre and post DSM 5. I'd still recommend studying up, but maybe this will ease your anxiety.

Thanks, I am taking the EPPP in September, and I have the DSM 5 to review. I have three more weeks to prepare for the test so I won't over study for the DSM 5.

Good luck - also just keep in mind they always have something like 4 exams in circulation, so I might have gotten one that just happened to skip the killer DSM-5 questions :)