EPPP Tutor in NYC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShrinkMuch

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've failed the exam several times. My lack of licensure has almost gotten me fired a few times. Way too stressed about this. Do EPPP tutors exist in NYC? I've done all sorts of searches and come up with nothing. Does anyone know of any?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes they are out there....but I couldn't recommend a particular one. The challenge is like other "coaching" areas, there are a high % of hacks and only a handful of really good ones. It would be highly unusual that the good ones are also inexpensive, so it would also be an additional investment, which may or may not provide a good return on investment.

Have you tried one of the online psych study companies? I did PsychPrep (I'm sure others are probably comparable), and they offer an online person who reviews your scores and can provide feedback about how to improve. I never utilized this option because I just wanted access to the practice exams, but I think the feedback option would have been helpful. Almost every testing company also offers in-person training weekends and similar, so maybe that may help.

I had a friend who had some trouble passing and considered some sort of intensive week long 9am-5pm EPPP course that was quite $$$$. I think that one was going to be held in TX but they probably hold them at various locations throughout the country. She didn't end up attending (but did end up passing :)) so I don't know much more about it.

Good luck!
Dr. E

Members don't see this ad :)
I've taken that weekend course. It was incredibly draining and expensive....and I still didn't pass. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I've taken that weekend course. It was incredibly draining and expensive....and I still didn't pass. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Not sure if you are still on here but I was wondering if you passed the EPPP yet? and if so what did you finally do?

Serious question, but at what point does someone decide that maybe this isn't the career for them?

Don't understand if this question relates to not passing or is just a general question. If it relates to not passing, I would say that it's up to the individual person. Through my journey I've met lots of people who have failed numerous times. Some people stop trying altogether and others switch up their approach and find a way to make it work. If this is a general question, again, that's all up to the individual. If you wake up every morning hating what you have to do to earn a living, then that's definitely a sign to reassess what you want to do.

Well, I guess a general question to the individual, but also a programmatic one for the profession. I get the individual piece of if you don't enjoy the work. But there's also the professional piece of passing minimum bars for things like licensure and boarding. Especially with a push from many in the field for even more stringent bars.

Well, I guess a general question to the individual, but also a programmatic one for the profession. I get the individual piece of if you don't enjoy the work. But there's also the professional piece of passing minimum bars for things like licensure and boarding. Especially with a push from many in the field for even more stringent bars.

Ah ok, so to answer your question, having failed the exam several times didn't make me think that this was not the career for me.

Ah ok, so to answer your question, having failed the exam several times didn't make me think that this was not the career for me.

Here's my take.

The answer is there. You just have a know how to choose it, right? Like any MC test, there is strategy to that. Familiarity with broad content is of course a requirement here, but mastery? Not so much. Moderate paced studying with some cramming the week before is likely what's needed if your training was solid. Also when I say "studying" I mean practice tests. Practice the strategy. Learn how to eliminate all but two answers. You can do this even if you only have surface level familiarly with the item's content. Do a broad overview and then detailed reading of your weaker areas, but then just practice tests for several weeks before the test. Over studying is generally bad news bears.

Reactions: 1 user