Equine Surgery Insights

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehowell007

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm hoping to connect with a few vet students who are currently equine-focused, preferably looking to specialize in surgery. What has been the biggest challenge in pursuing this? Are there elements of your school that are especially helpful for this track, or things that you would've steered away from if given another chance? TYIA!

Members don't see this ad.

My biggest challenge is getting the hands on right now as a first year. Our large animal hospital has pretty strict rules about students within the hospital, so it’s a lot of searching for the right experiences through clubs. MSU equine club does great work putting us into contact with the faculty, and the faculty is always willing to talk with us. I guess one of the down sides of MSU is we don’t have a large food animal focus since we are a more urban located school.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! I am equine-focused but not surgery focused. I love being at Colorado State! I feel like there are so many opportunities to learn about equine medicine and dive deeper where you want to be. There are a lot of opportunities to jump in with research with equine surgeons/professors, you just need to be proactive about reaching out to them and making those connections if you want them. Although our curriculum doesn't track until third year, I do feel like we get a good amount of exposure to equine cases in all of our classes. And they are developing a new equine podiatry curriculum that can be started first year and goes all the way through fourth year.
I think the only negative aspect of tracking at CSU is that large animal tracking only allows 6 or 7 weeks of externships, whereas I think other schools offer more. But you can use breaks of course to go visit other practices/make connections where you need to.
I am biased because I go to CSU, but I really love it here! I can't wait until I start tracking and get even more time for equine content.

Reactions: 1 user