ER Caseloads/Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStarz

Ohio State c/o 2016
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

So I'm starting to think about externships for clinics (eek!), and I wanted to do at least one at another university. I'm interested in pursuing emergency medicine at this time. Could you tell me a bit about your school's emergency services? Are they 24 hours? Do you have an idea of emergency caseload?

Thanks so much :) Also, if anyone has any awesome locations for private practice ER externships (I have externships lined up this summer at Oradell, GSVS (NJ), AMC, and Angell), I'd appreciate those ideas as well!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys!

So I'm starting to think about externships for clinics (eek!), and I wanted to do at least one at another university. I'm interested in pursuing emergency medicine at this time. Could you tell me a bit about your school's emergency services? Are they 24 hours? Do you have an idea of emergency caseload?

Thanks so much :) Also, if anyone has any awesome locations for private practice ER externships (I have externships lined up this summer at Oradell, GSVS (NJ), AMC, and Angell), I'd appreciate those ideas as well!
I can ask about caseload at MSU when I go to work tomorrow. Our service is 24/7 365

Members don't see this ad :)
NCSU has a good caseload and you can come stay with me starting in june...
Oh, jmo, that's so sweet! I think I'm a year behind you though (not sure if you're planning on staying in NC after graduation).

NStarz, you're also welcome to stay with me if you want to travel up here for an externship! Feel free to message me on facebook when the time comes if need be

You guys are the best. Seriously.

I know our Emergency Services are 24/7/365. I'm not exactly sure on caseload #s but the website says about 13,000 a year are emergencies. And if you end up here, I'm sure I could put you in touch with someone who has a room to sublet. Or if you don't mind sofa beds, we have two and I'm in a pretty decent sized house, so I'm sure you could stay with us. My bf's house also frequently rents out a room to vet students on externships.

I know our Emergency Services are 24/7/365. I'm not exactly sure on caseload #s but the website says about 13,000 a year are emergencies. And if you end up here, I'm sure I could put you in touch with someone who has a room to sublet. Or if you don't mind sofa beds, we have two and I'm in a pretty decent sized house, so I'm sure you could stay with us. My bf's house also frequently rents out a room to vet students on externships.

Yeah Penn Emergency is busy busy. I recently took it for the 2nd time and I had about 2 to 6 patients a shift that were "mine" and I would be on with 1-2 other students who also got that many. It's one of the best rotations here and you get a lot of client interaction. Just be aware that you do work some overnights (I'm assuming you are okay with that if you like emergency) and that there are a LOT of clients who can't afford the hospital prices (Penn is quite expensive and some of the surrounding neighborhoods unfortunately have a lot of poverty) so there are a lot of sad/tough situations.

Hey NStarz - was actually just frequenting the ER Wednesday. We are open 24 hrs/7/365 (I happened to stay there for a 2nd year rotation during Pax). While I was there for about ~5 hours, I had 3 cases with my 4th year student. From our website: "The emergency service manages over 8,000 cases annually out of a total hospital case load of ~27,927." I know ER can be variable (slow sometimes, CRAZY on others) and both times I've been there to volunteer/rotate, it's been hopping! I was encouraged to jump on with other students (I believe there are 4-6 4th years rotating at a time) who all had at least 1 case or more. If you'd end up in these parts, you'd be welcome to stay with me of course :)

Mizzou's ECC is open 24/7. I haven't been on the rotation yet, but one of my friends had ~20 cases in 9 shifts over the course of 2 weeks.

For those that have completed emergency externships - would you feel you got more out of spending time at another university vs. private practice? Does anyone have experience with the Veterinary Specialty Center in Buffalo Grove, IL? Thanks in advance! :)

UTCVM's ER service is 24/7/365. We have a decent case load. There are a lot of emergency clinics in town, but we still see a lot of crazy things. We have 3 ECC DVMs and an ACVIM Vet that man the service with residents and interns. SA ECC rotation is a service elective, so there is often only 1 student on at a tim, so you would have the opportunity to care for multiple patients if you desired.

I can get you in contact with people if you want, just lemme know. And I can help with living arrangements, too!

so NCSU actually has a very busy ER and ICU. we get lots of bizarre and critical cases that come through, and we have a gorgeous ICU (its pretty darn drool worthy). definitely worth looking at, and i'm pretty sure they are always in need of more students per block as ER is an elective here. CC is its own elective in the spring and seems pretty booked and tough to get.