ER doctor fired for criticizing hospital's preparedness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Urzuz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Just shut up and do your job while risking your and your family's health. Unbelievable times we are living in.

Members don't see this ad.

• Angry
Reactions: 10 users
Par for the course.

I've been saying it for years: EMPLOYED PHYSICIANS ARE JUST BODIES. When used or defective, they'll just throw you away and buy new ones.

Children, don't go into specialties where, even if you're good, patients won't drive 100 miles just to be seen by you. Better make 150K in one's own practice, than double that, while being somebody else's bitch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 10 users
Since when is it wise to slam your employer and hospital in the media and not expect consequences?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Well at least he can go home and stay safe..

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Since when is it wise to slam your employer and hospital in the media and not expect consequences?

I suppose since the moment they started expecting us to go treat Covid-19 patients with those ****ty yellow gowns and home-made surgical masks?

Reactions: 13 users
I suppose since the moment they started expecting us to go treat Covid-19 patients with those ****ty yellow gowns and home-made surgical masks?
Are you surprised that a trumpist wouldn't understand the concept of whistleblower? :lol:

And :troll:.

Reactions: 6 users

File a complaint with OSHA if you're going to whistleblow.

Are you surprised that a trumpist wouldn't understand the concept of whistleblower? :lol:

File a complaint with OSHA if you're going to whistleblow.

Does anybody actually think these yellow gowns do anything against COVID? Even c. Dif or MRSA? When you see the PPE supplied to other nations healthcare providers and compare it to our own it starts to look really bad here in the USA...

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

I’m sure they’ll get right on it. OSHA will refer to CDC guidelines that say bandannas are fine. He was asking for precautions (eg screening tent) that other hospitals in the area were already doing.

Last edited:
I’m sure they’ll get right on it. OSHA will refer to CDC guidelines that say bandannas are fine. He was asking for precautions (eg screening tent) that other hospitals in the area were already doing.

You'd be surprised, OSHA can and has stepped over the recommendations of other agencies, it's actually fairly common with government inspectors from different areas of the government. Contradictory instructions are expected to be both enforced. Bizarre.

You'd be surprised, OSHA can and has stepped over the recommendations of other agencies, it's actually fairly common with government inspectors from different areas of the government. Contradictory instructions are expected to be both enforced. Bizarre.
Well, there is plenty of work for him these days. Unlike us....

Except a mandatory reporting requirement, OSHA does not have specific protections for COVID19.

“There is no specific OSHA standard covering COVID-19. However, some OSHA requirements may apply to preventing occupational exposure to COVID-19. Among the most relevant are:

OSHA's Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) standards (in general industry, 29 CFR 1910 Subpart I), which require using gloves, eye and face protection, and respiratory protection.
When respirators are necessary to protect workers, employers must implement a comprehensive respiratory protection program in accordance with the Respiratory Protection standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
OSHA has issued temporary guidance related to enforcement of respirator annual fit-testing requirements for healthcare.
The General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act of 1970, 29 USC 654(a)(1), which requires employers to furnish to each worker “employment and a place of employment, which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm.”

The doctor may have a valid whistleblower retaliation complaint.

How is this not a wrongful termination lawsuit when this is all over?

I think he just got himself in a long con.

Reactions: 1 users

“According to public statements, TeamHealth and PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center have terminated Dr. Ming Lin. If this is so, AAEM condemns TeamHealth and PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center for terminating Dr. Ming Lin an emergency physician who went public with his concerns over the safety of the hospital staff and his patients in this pandemic. It is an essential duty of a physician to advocate for the health of others. Dr. Lin, as a member of the medical staff, is entitled to full due process and a fair hearing from his peers on the medical staff. TeamHealth, a lay corporation owned by the private equity company the Blackstone Group, should not be the employer of Dr. Lin according to the laws of the state of Washington. Their hand in this termination is not only inexcusable but likely impermissible. We call on the WA state Attorney General and the State Board of Medicine to investigate this circumstance.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
I’m sure the ABA and ASA would release a similar statement for one of us. :rofl:

Reactions: 3 users
How is this not a wrongful termination lawsuit when this is all over?

I think he just got himself in a long con.

I didn't watch his interviews, but there's probably something in his contract regarding publicly defaming his company, and there's probably nothing in his TeamHealth contract that gives him protection in this circumstance.

It's why I argue that nobody should voluntarily take a job with these scum, the contracts are take-it-or-leave-it and protect the employer only.

“According to public statements, TeamHealth and PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center have terminated Dr. Ming Lin. If this is so, AAEM condemns TeamHealth and PeaceHealth St. Joseph Medical Center for terminating Dr. Ming Lin an emergency physician who went public with his concerns over the safety of the hospital staff and his patients in this pandemic. It is an essential duty of a physician to advocate for the health of others. Dr. Lin, as a member of the medical staff, is entitled to full due process and a fair hearing from his peers on the medical staff. TeamHealth, a lay corporation owned by the private equity company the Blackstone Group, should not be the employer of Dr. Lin according to the laws of the state of Washington. Their hand in this termination is not only inexcusable but likely impermissible. We call on the WA state Attorney General and the State Board of Medicine to investigate this circumstance.
Interesting. So “Teamhealth , a lay corporation should not be the employer of Dr Lin” according to AAEM. Now they are not his employer anymore so it’s a problem?

Except a mandatory reporting requirement, OSHA does not have specific protections for COVID19.

“There is no specific OSHA standard covering COVID-19. However, some OSHA requirements may apply to preventing occupational exposure to COVID-19. Among the most relevant are:

OSHA's Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) standards (in general industry, 29 CFR 1910 Subpart I), which require using gloves, eye and face protection, and respiratory protection.
When respirators are necessary to protect workers, employers must implement a comprehensive respiratory protection program in accordance with the Respiratory Protection standard (29 CFR 1910.134).
OSHA has issued temporary guidance related to enforcement of respirator annual fit-testing requirements for healthcare.
The General Duty Clause, Section 5(a)(1) of the Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Act of 1970, 29 USC 654(a)(1), which requires employers to furnish to each worker “employment and a place of employment, which are free from recognized hazards that are causing or are likely to cause death or serious physical harm.”

The doctor may have a valid whistleblower retaliation complaint.

Not with pandemic and Stafford act declares by trump.

even insurance companies are refusing to pay for income loss for small business for those who paid for business interruption insurance premiums.

we are in unprecedented times. No rules.

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't watch his interviews, but there's probably something in his contract regarding publicly defaming his company, and there's probably nothing in his TeamHealth contract that gives him protection in this circumstance.

Dude you talk a lot without backing it up on this forum. It really eats away at any credibility you might have left. You literally commented 6 times in this thread without watching the video?

Here is the link. It's on a Fox website and he's even wearing a Texas shirt so you don't have to cry liberal media before you watch it. Next time you comment about this I expect you to at least watch this video. I'm literally spoon feeding the information to you.

Last edited:
Interesting. So “Teamhealth , a lay corporation should not be the employer of Dr Lin” according to AAEM. Now they are not his employer anymore so it’s a problem?

What laws of the state of Washington are they referring to? I actually like the strong language coming out of the AAEM here. I don’t have confidence the ASA would be as supportive.

Par for the course.

I've been saying it for years: EMPLOYED PHYSICIANS ARE JUST BODIES. When used or defective, they'll just throw you away and buy new ones.

Children, don't go into specialties where, even if you're good, patients won't drive 100 miles just to be seen by you. Better make 150K in one's own practice, than double that, while being somebody else's bitch.
This is how the workforce operates. Just because we're physicians doesn't mean we can criticize our employer. You think Anderson Cooper can criticize CNN and keep his job? Absolutely not. Don't let your entitlement show too much.

The article I read this morning indicated he is a TeamHealth employee and can be reassigned. TeamHealth is saying he was not fired from their company. I'm guessing "fired" in this case means his hospital privileges were revoked.

This is how the workforce operates. Just because we're physicians doesn't mean we can criticize our employer. You think Anderson Cooper can criticize CNN and keep his job? Absolutely not. Don't let your entitlement show too much.

Shows you how short-sighted these companies and hospitals are. Not only did they get the bad press from him criticizing his employer, but now it’s snowballing after they fired him.

Never be afraid to stand up for what’s right. As physicians, we have a duty to ourselves and our patients...not our employers. Never forget that.

If CNN was exposing Anderson Cooper to SARS-COV-2 through pure negligence, Anderson Cooper would get huge $$$ from a lawsuit.

Also watch the video, there isn't very much criticism if at all.

Shows you how short-sighted these companies and hospitals are. Not only did they get the bad press from him criticizing his employer, but now it’s snowballing after they fired him.

Never be afraid to stand up for what’s right. As physicians, we have a duty to ourselves and our patients...not our employers. Never forget that.
I agree with that.

Just gotta say for now, it’s good to be self employed. These companies are crazy.

I guarantee you, if hospital workers started refusing to come into the hospital in large numbers because of the lack of PPE, we would miraculously find all the PPE we need. We also wouldn’t have to deal with these ridiculous “heartwarming” stories of random companies using this as a marketing ploy and sewing useless surgical masks.

Reactions: 7 users
I guarantee you, if hospital workers started refusing to come into the hospital in large numbers because of the lack of PPE, we would miraculously find all the PPE we need. We also wouldn’t have to deal with these ridiculous “heartwarming” stories of random companies using this as a marketing ploy and sewing useless surgical masks.

100%. even in nyc where apparently so many companies are donating to, as well as the public. still not sure where all the PPE is. Our masks and N95s are still locked up and we have to request everytime we need one for the shift. Apparently my hospital got a lot of donations.. but not much info given to us lowly employees. we recently got another email about conserving PPEs during this time of need which we have to do since they are locked up! however i do feel lucky that anesthesiology department here has more PPE than most other departments in the hospital. feel bad for the ED!

Par for the course.

can we sticky this

Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak

Aircraft carrier captain removed from duty after pleading for help with coronavirus outbreak

Something something chain of command, something something national security, something something insubordination.

• Haha

I would read the SECNAV's statement and explanation before getting too outraged over the ship CO being relieved.

Something something chain of command, something something national security, something something insubordination.
You use those words sarcastically, as if they're cover for retaliation on a whistleblower. Those words have meaning, and they're important. They're not just punchlines for sound bites. We have rules not just about what we do, but how we do it.

I would read the SECNAV's statement and explanation before getting too outraged over the ship CO being relieved.

I did. Unfortunately this topic jumped threads and as I said here I don’t find the timeline or the Navy’s explanation that convincing.

You use those words sarcastically, as if they're cover for retaliation on a whistleblower. Those words have meaning, and they're important. They're not just punchlines for sound bites. We have rules not just about what we do, but how we do it.
They're not sarcastic, they're real with heavy meaning. I would hope that @vector2 would actually look into how militaries work instead of ignorantly saying it was wrong to relieve of command an officer who did not go through standard chain of command which in the end compromised readiness and gave indication to our enemies that our biggest forces of deterrence are unable to face threats.

I did. Unfortunately this topic jumped threads and as I said here I don’t find the timeline or the Navy’s explanation that convincing.
I can understand that, but the Navy has to be aware of how bad this could potentially look. I mean the article basically writes itself "Navy fires concerned carrier captain during pandemic". There's no way the Navy would ignore the pleas of the captain of a 4.5 billion dollar ship with over 5000 sailors on board.

When the dust clears, there will absolutely be an investigation about this. I'd bet good money that the story from that press release turns out to be accurate. If not, I'll gladly come back and take my lumps for being wrong.

They're not sarcastic, they're real with heavy meaning. I would hope that @vector2 would actually look into how militaries work instead of ignorantly saying it was wrong to relieve of command an officer who did not go through standard chain of command which in the end compromised readiness and gave indication to our enemies that our biggest forces of deterrence are unable to face threats.
Fair enough, thought you were being sarcastic. Hard to pick up tone sometimes. :) My apologies.

I can understand that, but the Navy has to be aware of how bad this could potentially look. I mean the article basically writes itself "Navy fires concerned carrier captain during pandemic". There's no way the Navy would ignore the pleas of the captain of a 4.5 billion dollar ship with over 5000 sailors on board.

When the dust clears, there will absolutely be an investigation about this. I'd bet good money that the story from that press release turns out to be accurate. If not, I'll gladly come back and take my lumps for being wrong.

4237F753-1596-4ECD-84C2-EB60F5582D44.png

I get "chain of command". Still, I can't shake this feeling that this was all about bad PR, especially at a time when the government is full of sycophantic "acting" political appointees.

I didn't hear any of our generals or admirals complain about the chain of command having been broken.

Reactions: 5 users
I get "chain of command". Still, I can't shake this feeling that this was all about bad PR, especially at a time when the government is full of sycophantic "acting" political appointees.

I didn't hear any of our generals or admirals complain about the chain of command having been broken.

Apparently, you are not allowed to broadcast to the world over unsecured channels classified information such as the combat readiness of our premier force projection platform. Who woulda thunk it?

I’m sure that those hostile to US interests would never think of using such information to harm us or the crew. This has OPSEC issues all over it and the captain will be lucky to avoid UCMJ charges once the investigation is complete.

BTW, there was a Carrier Task Force Commander who was the captain’s immediate boss with an office two doors down the hallway ON THE ROSEVELT who would be responsible for a decision to evacuate the ship. The fact that the captain didn’t like his boss’ response is not a reason to pull such a stunt. Bye Felicia...

Last edited:
Apparently, you are not allowed to broadcast to the world over unsecured channels classified information such as the combat readiness of our premier force projection platform. Who woulda thunk it?...

The email didn’t contain any classified information