ER Fellowship training- what do y'all think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

La Fiera

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Check out the Fellowship training thread under the ER forum. I wanted to get some input from those of you going into FP, with regard to this matter! ('cause i'm considering it).

Are there any FP's out there that have worked a significant amount of time in the ER? Or have done a fellowship in the ER? I would really like to know what you think! Is it worth being doubly certified in ER and FP to work in a rural area? (especially in the West?)
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

There is a significant correlation between EP and FP residencies, and in fact, there are one or two combined residencies for DO's.

I think it's kind of odd that there aren't any allopathic dual residencies, it would seem that they could be done in 4 years total of training.

At many rural (i.e. non urban) hospitals, they'll take a BC/BE FP or IM instead of EP to work locum tenens in the ER, without a fellowship.

i too am interested in the emergency med side of FP. there are only a few fellowships out there though. there are however a few rural medicine fellowships that are primarily for those who will do ob. but, most of these fellowships in rural medicine allow half of the program to be in elective months, in which one could do all er related rotations.

i have seen numerous ads in journals and on websites for physician placement for er docs that have requirements as be/bc primary care (IM, FP). but, they want extensive er experience which is hard to come by now that most er's are staffed with EM docs. so just getting out of an fp residency it can be hard to get that er experience so the fellowships look more and more appealing. there is talk between the fp and em boards of starting a joint fp/em residency. there are a few im/em residencies so i cant see why there cant be an fp/em allopathic residency. the d.o.'s already have a few.

check out the aafp.org
best of luck!