ERAS 2023 applicant data

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odyssey2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Radiology had one of the highest increases in applicants from the year prior at 11%, EM was at the bottom with a 12% decrease. Decrease in several surgical fields (ENT, urology, ortho). Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

More people wanting lifestyle (explains surgical decrease and rads increase) plus the switch from EM to radiology seems logical given that both are known to be lifestyle specialties.

Radiology was already becoming competitive again and it’s a very numbers based field. The increase in applications coupled with pass/fail step 1 doesn’t bode well for DOs and low tier MDs applying radiology.

Also, with the increasing cost of living, people are probably drawn to higher paying fields. Before this rampant inflation, 280k was pretty good. Now, it just kind of hits different. For true upper class lifestyle, I would say one needs a total household income of 500k+. That is possible in rads but not a lot of other fields these days.

Last edited:
  • Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
Why has the trend for Psychiatry applications been decreasing over the years? That makes no sense to me. I thought it was becoming more and more popular.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Why has the trend for Psychiatry applications been decreasing over the years? That makes no sense to me. I thought it was becoming more and more popular.
Agreed. I’m a burnt out IM pgy2 and any work from home specialties sound fantastic to me right now

Although the overall # is down, there are more and more MDs (and DOs) applying to psychiatry, with substantially less IMGs. I would actually interpret this as psych becoming more desirable and thus less attainable for IMGs.

Reactions: 3 users